1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

External Backup Signal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Charles Suitt, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Nearly backed up into my wife ...

Has anyone installed an auxiliary external backup alarm on their Prius? J.C.Whitney (see link below) has two inexpensive products:

1) Backup bulb with alarm $19.99. Has one review indicating rapid failure and does not specifically list the Prius bulb as a replacement (Prius says: #7440 bulb - 21 watts - type D).

2) Backup Alarm with flashing light $9.99 which attaches to the lower rear license plate screws. No reviews available on this one.

They also list other more-complex alarms.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Browse/...0000492/c-10101

I have disabled the interior backup buzzer. :unsure: Wife is not happy about being nearly backed into... Would definitely be to my advantage to install an external backup alarm.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I know that Godiva as done that. She posted the instructions (largely attaching the wires to the backup lights on the left side), but I don't know where that is.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done one too...there's a pretty detailed article or post floating around here somewhere describing how to do it.

The blub option won't work for prius since it uses LED tail lights.

I installed a talking alert that annoys my wife, amuses my kids, is obnoxious as hell, and make me smile every time I back up! I was torn b/w that one (Attention please, this car is backing up), and one that sounds like a locomotive...!

BTW, it's quite easy to do.

4. Charles Suitt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Thanks Dr. Fusco.... however...

My Owner's Manual lists the Prius backup light as: #7440 bulb - 21 watt - Type D. Manual illustration looks like a standard type bulb. Is that indeed an LED?

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Sep 7 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]315878[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmm, maybe I'm thinking of the tail lights.... In any case, I searched extensively and even called J.C. Whittney looking for a replacement back-up bulb and there was not one available. It's been around a year or so, so that could have changed by now.

6. B Rad

B Rad New Member

7. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

LPM ( Lift Parts Manufacture ) makes two different ones, one is 104 decibles and the high noise enviroment one is 135 decibles. I've installed that one several times and whey I check it I always use ear puffs and ear muffs. I can tell you that no one will stand behind your car. Your neighbours might take a shot at you but it's effective in clearing the area behind your car. Your local forklift dealer can get them for you.

8. Charles Suitt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :) Hi B Rad...

The DIY with RadioShack parts procedure sounds great. Minimal wiring - audible from inside and outside - modification concealed. If I make this mod, I'll report results in this Forum. Can't help but wonder the results if I left the built-in reverse buzzer working. It is currently disabled but an interruption in the 12v circuit (as in disconnecting the 12v auxiliary battery) would re-enable it.

Now, I'll ask my Service nice person't Manager how it might affect my Warranty. He's a friendly guy very familiar with the Prius and its peculiarities and I see him early tomorrow for the upper glove box repair.

THANKS for the link.

Dr Fusco - Thanks for your response. You're probably right on the replacement backup lightbulb. Also, it received a bad review... didn't last very long.