1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

External CD changer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mmoncur, May 29, 2007.

1. mmoncur

mmoncur New Member

I have a 2007 with the non-JBL 6-speaker system. It came with a dealer-installed external 6-cd changer in the tray below the stereo. This changer is nearly worthless since it doesn't support MP3.

I'm considering a DICE unit, but what I would really like is to replace this 6-cd changer with one that supports MP3. Does anyone know of an external CD/MP3 changer that works with the non-JBL stereo?

While I'm dreaming, maybe it could have an SD card slot? :)

I'm just hoping to be able to play a few discs worth of MP3s without bothering to bring my iPod...

Thanks!

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmoncur @ May 28 2007, 09:32 PM) [snapback]451309[/snapback]</div>

You're going to have to replace the entire radio. The radio does the MP3 decoding, not the CD changer. Be prepared to shell out ALOT of money.

3. mmoncur

mmoncur New Member

Probably true but my radio DOES decode MP3s - they work fine in the single slot - just not the ones in the external changer.

I've seen external changers that do MP3, but I guess there aren't any Prius-compatible ones...

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mmoncur @ May 29 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]451652[/snapback]</div>

Oh, you didn't say that your current deck does MP3. I don't think you're going to find much luck for this.