1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

External GPS system to use with the screen?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Michgal007, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 06 package #4, so I don't have a GPS navigation system in my Pri. My friend tells me that I can get an external GPS system (just the tracker, DVD with maps and some kind of connector) and connect this to the car, so I can use the monitor (the screen) with it. [Not a full GPS navigation with voice recognition system that Magellen or any company like that offer].

Has anyone tried this?

2. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Sep 13 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]318874[/snapback]</div>
    No, but I'm seriously considering buying a gvn 52 from garmin and finding out if I can make it work.

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Sep 13 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]318874[/snapback]</div>
    If you can get the maps on the screen, you'd need some way to control what's happening. There is no GPS kit that will allow a hookup to the Prius screen with touch capability. An easy solution would be a handheld, dash mountable GPS with display. There are quite a few out there for a couple hundred bucks.

4. auart

auart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Michgal007 @ Sep 13 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]318874[/snapback]</div>
    The garmin will work and be on screen but you will not have touch screen... you will use the remote control that comes with it.... The price is dropping so in a few months it will be better. It works with the onscreen MFD but no Touch screen is possible.
    Check it out.........
    http://www.garmin.com/products/gvn52/

5. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Sep 14 2006, 12:31 AM) [snapback]319335[/snapback]</div>

Thanks!

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Expected Availability:

3rd Quarter, 2006

has anybody actually had one installed in a Prius and have it working properly?

7. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been looking for this solution for months, and, thanks to an email from sl7vk alerting me to the introduction of the Garmin GVN 52, I have placed an order for one. With shipping it came to ~$469, far less than the OEM integrated one. As someone else already pointed out, it doesn't respond to the touchscreen at this time, but some of their literature seemed to indicate that it has the intelligence to interface with touchscreens. Perhaps there will be an accessory kit someday for that, hopefully. But, I plan to do a full report as soon as I can get it installed. :D

8. auart

auart Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Sep 23 2006, 08:57 PM) [snapback]324090[/snapback]</div>
    Where did you buy it for that price?
    Did you get the Garmin GVN 52 ?

9. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Sep 23 2006, 09:57 PM) [snapback]324090[/snapback]</div>
    Please do! Any suggestions on how to install it, once you've pulled it off would be highly desirable as well!

10. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(auart @ Sep 24 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]324476[/snapback]</div>
    Gemini Computers

11. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, it works!
    [​IMG]
    It comes with a remote control to control all the functions:
    [​IMG]

Some short notes:
    1) The unit comes with a very short list of wiring/options: a battery wire, an ignition wire, ground, 2 audio outputs with RCA phono plugs, a composite video cable with RCA phono plug, and a "Mute" wire, which isn't explained at all in the manual.
    2) I called the factory, who asked me to email my questions, as they were unable to immediately answer them. I asked how many milliamps the audio "Mute" wire could handle, and whether they have any plans on releasing a Toyota touchscreen interface. (No answer back as of yet)
    3) The audio "Mute" wire pulls to ground everytime the NAV lady talks, but it couldn't even sink enough current for the Radio Shack 12 volt 60 ma relay I bought to do the audio switching. So, I had to use a 2N5195 transistor and a couple resistors to drive the relay.
    4) There is no audio loop-thru, only the 2 audio outputs. So, I decided to have the NAV audio interupt my Sirius Radio audio that I now pump into the Auxilary Audio input in the console. So, I went to Radio Shack bought a couple cables, cut them up, and soldered them to a DPDT relay, which works perfectly.
    The NAV is going to come in VERY handy next week when I need to go downtown Queens NY at 2AM! :blink:
    OK, bring me your questions, and I'll try to answer them. :D

12. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Oct 10 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]330615[/snapback]</div>
    Queens huh? We should meet up for a burger! :)

13. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

Questions:

1. The screen looks pretty good from here. What is your opinion of the screen quality now that you've used it a bit?

2. Do you spend a lot of time screwing around with the remote, or is it fairly intuitive?

3. Pictures...lots of pictures! :)

Vince

14. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(VinceDee @ Oct 10 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]330708[/snapback]</div>
    I need to use it a lot more to say definitively, but it seems just as easy to read as the C230 I rented last week. The screen is MUCH larger, of course. So, even if the resolution isn't great, its still fine to read everything.

The remote takes some getting used to, and is definitely not as easy as the touchscreen I used last week. Its pretty intuitive, but much more time-consuming, since I can't just hunt-and-peck in an address. I've just gotten used to the idea of making sure I put the destination in ahead of time, as trying to do it on the road would definitely be hazardous to my health.

What would you like to see? :D

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess it's not different from a Mazda nav system. I think the Mazda3's one is using a remote control by the shifter.

16. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, by the way, I'm looking for ideas/options on where/how to mount the remote. I don't just want it bouncing around in the console. I was hoping it would be shaped differently, more horizontal than vertical, fatter, rather than longer, if you know what I mean. I could have seen some places to mount it better that way. :angry:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 10 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]330780[/snapback]</div>
    That's actually one of the main reasons Garmin developed the GVN 52, to be integrated by OEM's. They saw a huge opportunity to sell to manufacturers, who will want to avoid designing a custom NAV for each vehicle. This black box can be mounted just about anywhere, and integrated into any car with a display with little effort.

17. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Oct 10 2006, 10:41 AM) [snapback]330615[/snapback]</div>
    Ok here they come.
    1. I see you are still using the video camera to pipe in pictures. Wouldn’t the factory installed navigation (FIN) system send images from the DVD’s to the screen?

2. If the FIN is sending a video signal to the MFD then would it be through the Navigation ECU, VO1-, and VO1+ as those are shielded and are connected to IV1-, and Iv1+ on the MFD. Ref. Page 327 ?

I am basically trying to figure out how the MFD knows to display the map. What is the source? How can I tap in? This way I can watch a DVD with without the dreaded “Check surroundings for safety†by using the reverse video feed. I mean nothing can be more distracting while driving when your foreign language DVD subtitles are covered up. :rolleyes:

Only kidding about watching a DVD while driving, but not about the navigation map video input source. Any ideas?

18. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cheap! @ Oct 10 2006, 03:52 PM) [snapback]330808[/snapback]</div>
    To be honest, I never looked at that part of the diagram before, but you may be right. That would be a nice alternative if....see below

Don't the factory NAV systems have an extra button on the steering wheel to activate the map? If so, then the BIG question is whether the code/intelligence is always built into the MFD to activate the auxilary video input if the proper button is pushed. What I'm trying to ask is: if you have a non-NAV MFD, connect a video source to those terminals, and simulate the pressing of tha "MAP" button, will the MFD switch to the auxilary input? Good question.
    But, the other issue I see is that I don't see those same video inputs on my base audio system, only the JBL amplifier. That would make sense, since NAV was only available on cars with the JBL, right?

19. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Oct 10 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]330832[/snapback]</div>
    I'll go ahead and pull connectors and try to see if I can find a video source from the DVD's under the drives seat. Then I will check behind the MFD to see if I there are more then one shielded cables going in. I figure with my system I should be able to find composite video from the DVD’s if not I guess the nav system is all computer generated, the DVD's are just full of programming and the nav system doesn’t broadcast in composite. If that is the case that means the MFD must take the data and converts it into meaningful context.

Does anyone know how the 04, and 05 get there video spliced in and where?

20. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

Very Nice.

I see you have a Package 3, so do I.

How did you install the Garmin?

What did you do to interface the Audio and the Video from the Garmin to the MFD... How did you get the display of the Map?

Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Oct 10 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]330615[/snapback]</div>