1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

External MPG display on Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by klaats, Nov 9, 2006.

1. klaats

klaats Junior Member

Hi all. New to Prius. New to the forum. Curious if anyone has ever talked about putting a visible MPG readout, visible to all, on their Prius? Would think it would be a big selling point, potentially visible to thousands daily. Something like a simple led display in the bottom corner of the rear window. Cant think of a more real world or cheaper way of spreading the gospel to the masses. Some guy sitting by himself in a traffic jam in his Expedition knowing that he's getting 8 MPG cant be totally oblivious to a display in the next car showing 99.9 MPG (or can he?). Any talk on the forum of someone that could do this electronically by tapping into the computer? Sorry for my naivete. Perhaps it's technically illegal and could cause accidents. I've written to Calcars and one of their tech folks thought the idea was good.
    Peace

2. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Welcome to PriusChat!

The subject has been broached here and POL. Problems are finding a cheap LED display that can be connected to the AVIC-LAN to get the info.

There are various LED license plate scrolling displays, some are pre-programmed with a message(s), some can be programmed on the fly with a wireless remote.

Wayne

Hey, why not stop by our Next Meetup.

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It would be a bit pricey, but you could do it with these:

[​IMG]

video

4. klaats

klaats Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Nov 9 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]346480[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, the 12K could be little steep. But, I'd look like a pimp in a Prius. Was thinking more along the $50 lines with this:

http://www.perpetualkid.com/index.asp?Page...amp;ProdID=1607