1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

External System not connected

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TheForce, Aug 9, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While driving to work today I noticed that I was in warp stealth at 50MPH or so I thought. I thought cool and I keep my foot there. When I had to slow down I noticed that nothing changed on the screen. I tried switching screens but that did not work. I also noticed that my MP3 player was not playing music. The MFD was locked up but the wheels were moving. When trying to go the the map it said "External System not connected". The audio controls would not respond either. I pulled over into a gas station and rebooted. Everything seemed to work fine all the way to work. When I got to work I got into the diagnostic screen a did a quick check and everything showed up as OK. Should I take it into the dealer or just wait a while and see what happens? I know there was a recall on the 04 MFDs but is there any known problems with the 06?

[EDIT]
    I should add that this happened at about 5555 miles on the OD :blink:

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    sounds like a loose connection in the back to me. my gut feeling is that it's fine for now, if it happens again you can take it in or maybe open it up and feel around back there, see if anything is loose.

Worst case it happens again and you have to take it in to the dealer. it's not a "critical" system like brakes, so you could still drive it in without any problems.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    have you been digging around in there and maybe loosened something up? i know you like to tinker. :) i'll ask hubby when i get home tonight and see what he thinks of the situation.

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not messed with any mods to the MFD or the NAV. The only thing that I have messed with is installing the EV button a while back. I'm tempted to take it to the dealer after work to see if they can read any error codes. I really don't want take it in and have them ruin my 68+mpg tank I have so far. I'm not to worried about it right now since the car was fully functional when the MFD locked up. If I dont see any problems when I start it back up I will check the connections when I get home.

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    double check the connections tonight, if there's no lights coming on in the dash there probably aren't any error codes to speak of. i'll have to check but i don't know if there are even codes for the mfd at all.

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got home and I check the connections by opening up the hole where the center speaker is. They all seemed fine. I also checked the NAV connections and they seem fine too. Oh well. I guess I will just have to wait and see if it happens again.

On a side note I got my second Prius wave and a short talk. :D We stopped at a light and I asked him to roll down his window and I asked what mpg hes gets. He said he got 48mpg but got 60mpg once. I said thats great! He asked me what I was getting and I said my current tank is 68mpg. He also said he tries to coast to the stop lights. I told him to go to priuschat.com for tips to improve the mpg. :D Then we had to go because the gas guzzlers behind us made us go. :angry: I wish I could have gave him one of my recently printed priuschat.com business cards. :( I followed him all the way to my exit. He gave me a hazard flash good bye. Hope he comes here. I would like to talk to a local owner. There is not many of us around here.

7. tvgaffer

tvgaffer Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Aug 9 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]300113[/snapback]</div>

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Aug 9 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]300113[/snapback]</div>
    While I recall similar problems when the MFD in my '04 failed, I'm hoping yours is just loose since the newer MFDs (like the replacement my car got) aren't SUPPOSED to fail like that. Or so I hope.

And anyway, it's well within warranty at 5555....

9. tvgaffer

tvgaffer Junior Member

Do you have a link to the recall or the TSB of the recall of the MFD I realy need some ammo to take to the dealer???[email protected]<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Mar 23 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]410994[/snapback]</div>