1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra credit for EV or regen braking?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Dark_matter_doesn't, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've noticed that the displayed digital MPG ("cons.") value seems to increase most often when I'm in regen braking. I don't see the value increase as frequently while I'm driving, mainly when I'm braking.

Could the algorithm used by the vehicle for calculating MPG be giving "special credit" for regen braking & energy recovery? Perhaps this is the reason why the vehicle-displayed MPG values are always a bit higher than the fill-to-fill calculated MPG values - the fill-to-fill values don't count the energy gained & stored in the battery.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No extra credit. The mpg calculation is simply distance divided by the fuel consumed during the calculation interval. If you are running in EV or coasting, little or no fuel is consumed, meaning a higher mpg. In the case of EV, you pay for it later when the engine recharges the battery.

Tom