1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra FOB

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MPGnutcase, Jul 12, 2013.

1. MPGnutcase

MPGnutcase Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Ok so when you go I a long road trip how many keys or FOB's do you take? My brother-in-law told me he always takes the second set in case he losses one set!! Not sure if I have EVER lose my keys ever, what does everyone think? :rolleyes:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've never lost my keys, but i always take the second set when we head to florida in the winter.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your family's folklore doesn't include any stories about lost or locked-inside-the-car keys while traveling far from home, then you probably don't need to carry an extra.

My family has several such stories, starting with mom & dad's honeymoon.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I definitely believe in having a backup key inside the car. If you lose your fob on a Friday night, you've lost use of the car until a dealer/locksmith can work on it on Monday. Now consider that it could be a holiday weekend and you're 500 miles from home. A tow truck operator can usually get you into a locked car, but only a dealer/locksmith can provide a new fob for the ignition.

A fob with the battery removed could be stored with the spare tire. Hardly convenient, but a lot better than checking into a motel and having someone FedEx the other fob from home...

5. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    When I go on road trips my traveling companion has the second fob, this way he can get into car when I'm not around if need be.