1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra-terrestrial biology

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by tochatihu, Sep 29, 2023.

1. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Yer link:

If Earth is Average, We Should Find Extraterrestrial Life Within 60 Light-Years - Universe Today

Possibly the first consideration of 5000 nigh unto 14000 exoplanets identified so far. Anyway, I liked it. Readers might as well.

==
    1. Interstellar travel may be impossible within biological lifespans. In which case, civilizations are 'doomed' never to have contact amongst themselves. This may not be a bad thing, overall.

2. Interstellar travel may be possible within biological lifespans. In which case, civilizations might be selective about where they go and interact. Does Earth's civilization merit attention? U tell me. We are entertaining and diverse in languages, cultures and foods, but those might not merit a long trip to see.

2a. I think that the most interesting biological worlds (to visit) would be those lacking an intellectual dominant species. Biological diversification would dominate, and catastrophes (large meteor strikes etc.) add to the tapestry.

We don't know which of these two Universes we exist in. It's good to exist though. Considering the alternative.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    One of my favorites:

• Served with fava beans
    Bob Wilson

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle: