1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extra Weight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by KProspero, Nov 1, 2006.

1. KProspero

KProspero New Member

Over my first 2000 miles (not a valid sample), I've been averaging 50-53 mpg highway.

Last weekend, on a 350 mile round trip, I dropped to 45-46.

I think the difference is attributable to one or all of the following:

1. I had my wife, daughter and luggage with me. All told, I was carrying about 250lbs more weight than I normally do.
    2. Weather conditions were bad VERY, combination of a headwind and crosswinds.
    3. Autumn's coming, and it's getting a little colder, little longer to warm up, etc.

Does this sound reasonable for a drop of this kind or

4. Stuff happens, this is well within the normal variance for driving.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1-3 clearly explain. Also, it's possible that your average speed was higher than your normal commute.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KProspero @ Nov 1 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]341887[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds about the same as my normal mileage. Just a bit over 50 around town and local trips where the speed limit is 55 MPH. On the freeway at 65 or 70 about 45 to 48 MPG.

With headwinds I'd say you may have done quite well. The last trip I made to Portland (about 200 miles) I was going into a strong headwind and got about 43.5 MPG with the cruise control set at 66 MPH. Of course going the other direction I got some of it back. :)

The extra weight must cost something but I'm not sure how much.

4. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Nov 2 2006, 01:22 PM) [snapback]342806[/snapback]</div>
    And from what I've read, crosswinds are even worse than headwinds for mileage.

Check out http://privatenrg.com/

The Prius is designed with a low drag coefficient, but that won't work in cross winds (until they design smart material cars that change their shape under different wind conditions, HA).

Dave M.

5. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KProspero @ Nov 1 2006, 07:47 AM) [snapback]341887[/snapback]</div>
    You lucky Person! I Get 43!~ Fixed!
    Oh, but you forgot to mention the quality in Gas and how in the winter the gas you get will not be as good as in the summer. Just another little thing to add to your mileage hit. And all little things add up.