1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extramile Tire Reimbursement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dannored, May 2, 2006.

1. dannored

dannored New Member

I just swapped the OEM Integrity's for Michelin Harmony's at the local Toyota dealer. They measured 2/32nds at 30,000 miles. I ran them into the ground by running them at the standard recommended air pressure. They sure didn't last long. I was extremely disappointed at the choices available in the program. Four measley tire options: The Harmony, the Integrity, and two others that will go unmentioned because frankly I can't remember their names, much less the manufacturer. Don't get me wrong, I love the price of the Harmony's (after the reinbursement), but I would really have liked to have more choices ( Michelin Hydroedge or Goodyear Comfortred). I figure that I have already paid for these tires somewhere in the purchase price. My Prius came directly off the lot with no pre-order or waiting time, so I took the package and options listed with no haggling. I just wish Toyota could expand the options to include the really top of the line tires. My main pet peeve is road noise, and the Harmony's are almost as noisy as the Integrity's.

2. kaptaink

kaptaink Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dannored @ May 2 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]248667[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry but I am a little confused here. Are you saying that after 30000miles your dealer just swapped the Itegritys for the Michelins at no charge? Why would they do this? And if they did charge you why wouldn't you just buy the tire you wanted?

Note that Toyota designed the Prius from the ground up to squeeze every mpg out of it they could. Therefore putting the "hard" low friction tire on it makes sense, although it does nothing for the ride. I am looking forward to adding comfort threads to my Prius come this fall. I currently have 17500 miles on my 2005 after 10 months of driving. Thanks for you response.

3. dannored

dannored New Member

It is a part of the Extra Mile Package. As long as I had the tires rotated every 5000 miles at a Toyota dealer, I am reimbursed for the cost of the tires up to $200 per tire + $17 per tire for installation. It is a good deal, even though I'm sure it was reflected in the purchase price somewhere, but simply one with limited options. I am supposed to receive a check for $580 in 2-4 weeks. I had to submit this post quickly due to an impending server crash (those dreaded everyone off the net now kind of things). I have been computerless for two days now. That may explain why the post made little sense, or I could just be less than bright. Take your pick. I usually don't post often because I'm a sensitive sort and hate to be flamed. It has happened on this forum before, so I while I read almost everything here, I don't have much to say. Besides, most questions and topics are thoroughly covered, and everything I know about the Prius comes from the good folks here.

4. SirGreen

SirGreen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dannored @ May 2 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]248667[/snapback]</div>

Speaking of tires. I just took a long drive to Arlington Texas from Richmond Va.
    I only had 4500 miles on the My 06 Prius when I started the trip.
    380 miles later in SC I got a hole in my right front tire.
    I was stopping for gas anyway as the gas was only $2.67 I noticed my tire light was on.
    As I was getting my short fill-up I inspected my tires and found air coming out of my tire.
    So I found a Wal-mart open on a Sunday morning "yahoo" to have my tire fixed.
    The tire guy told me the hole was to close to the edge to patch so I bought on Goodyear viva2 tire.
    I have been waiting for an excuse to buy some good tires but they didn't have the GoodYear Assurance ComforTred tires I wanted so settled for the one Viva2. So I could finish my trip.

When I got to Texas I stopped at a Goodyear Dealer and got four new Assurance ComforTred tires. They are so great and my Prius runs so smooth now.

One thing bothers me though, they have these balancing weights on the outside of the rim and the outer wheel covers are no longer flush. It really bugs me.
    Can't they do the balancing from the inside?

5. dannored

dannored New Member

I could have sprung for Comfortreds myself. It just seemed wasteful and out of the question. Oh well, I will get a better set of tires next time. Loud riding till then.