1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extremely High End Prius Audio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jgelman, Nov 1, 2005.

1. jgelman

jgelman New Member

Looking to upgrade the Audio of my new Prius using equipment from my previous car...... wondering if there are any links to sites showing high end installations with pics that can be posted on this thread.

I had a really custom setup on my prior car....McIntosh amps, 2 nice 10inch alpine subs, dynaudio mid-tweeter speakers, crossovers, and a Denon 24bit head unit...with ipod input ...gave up steering wheel controls....removing the equipment on the old car really left some problems (large carpet holes etc.). Looking to use this equipment in the Prius so that when it is removed some day, it can be placed back to stock easily. Did not have much luck searching for sites with nice installs on the Prius and pics.

Thinking of making an enclosure for the 2 sub speakers and for the amps-crossovers in the back (one amp for the subs and the other amp for the remaining speakers)...then using what willl fit in the doors for the mids-highs. It would be nice to use the denon in the slot below the navigation....not sure what to do on that....do want ipodnput...do have the VAIS 100i installed at this time. I imagine a really nice amp-speaker-sub setup would be limited by the stock unit (JBL package6). Any links or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Joel

2. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I'm working on installing 2 amps and an Alpine H700 DSP Xover/EQ in my Prius. I made a FAQ on the JBL system at:

http://tom-morrow-land.com/tests/priusaudio/

3. sotagear

sotagear New Member

You will be looking long and hard to find many posts or sites with complete stereo replacements on the Prius. I know, because I looked for the same. Most people don't want to go that far & potentially lose their steering wheel controls (though there are now aftermarket adapters, so you don't have to lose that even with a new head unit). I did, as you are suggesting, replace the entire stereo & here is the link to my post with pictures.

Stereo replacement

It wasn't quite as hi-end as what you are thinking of doing but your components don't sound like they would present any signifcant snags to install. And as long as you don't make too many holes that can't easily be hid if you return it to stock, you'll enjoy a hell of a lot better tunes in your car. I thought the head unit replacement was one of the best parts of the improvement in the Prius sound system. Good luck, sounds like you really care about what you're getting out of your car stereo.

Cheers,
    -Dave