1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Extremely odd start up with immediate shut off and disfunction of auto windows

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nelflez, May 19, 2023.

1. Nelflez

Nelflez New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So I got in my 2006 Prius, turned it on, it started up for that of one-two seconds before shutting off on its own, then started up after two minutes of me trying to get it to work, then worked and acted completely normal except for my auto window, which permanently stopped working?

Did I possibly blow a fuse, or is my car just doing its "thing"?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If no warning lights are being displayed on the dash, then what is the state of the 12v when measured at the jump points under the hood?

3. Nelflez

Nelflez New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    It shows that the 12v is working perfectly fine which makes it so confusing. That was my first thought as well though too as I got two completely shot batteries in a row when I needed to replace the old one I had, but we made sure to test the current one and yeah it works great. Also my auto window came back on so I'm just starting to wonder if it was an issue with my keyfob not reading properly and so the car shut itself off or something.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It still sounds like a 12v issue; window resetting, clock resetting, radio presets resetting. If so, then start by checking the connections at the 12v battery, including the ground strap where it mounts to the body, sometimes that bolt hole is corroded and needs to be cleaned or sanded.

bisco likes this.
  5. Nelflez

Nelflez New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yup, you are right. I fixed my dash a while ago and while I was disconnecting the battery to make sure the airbags didn't go off lol I saw the negative connection was super loose on the battery for some reason. I never had the car shut off while driving or anything but it explains everything.

6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The nut for the connector on the negative post is a PITA to reach because it faces the back of the car. I use a tiny ratchet with a socket because I don't have a full metric wrench set. (Sockets yes, wrenches no.) Until I remembered that itty bitty ratchet I was having a devil of a time with that nut trying to use a small crescent wrench. My son has a full metric wrench set, and the small closed end wrench works better than the tiny ratchet with a socket.