1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Exxon vs. Shell, second look

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by calpal, Jan 13, 2009.

1. calpal

calpal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    From Exxon, after filling w Shell for the first time and a bottle of Gumout, my '07 Prius went from 47.5 to 43.5 mpg. So I went back to Exxon. Guess what? It then went even further down to 41.2 !
    What to do! What to do?
    Is there a chance that the Gumout screwed things up? It has been getting colder here in Northern NJ, around 32F.
    I'm staying w Exxon and see what happens. Maybe the Gumout will have gotten out.

2. LoreePrius

LoreePrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius doesn't like cold weather. So, it might not the type of gas you buy. I stay around the upper 40's it helps that I live in Calif.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need Gumout or any other additive when you use a good brand of 87 octane gas. In fact, with the bladder in the tank, I don't recommend putting anything into the tank but gas. If you damage the bladder, you'll have a major repair bill on your hands.

4. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I suspect it'e the temperatures not the gas unless the local stations have switched over to methanol mixed gas which does seem to affect milage. Have you looked into grill blocking ?

5. swi66

swi66 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The colder it gets, the less mileage I get.
    But I expected that.
    also, if there is snow on the roads it affects your rolling resistance further hurting mileage.
    We are just more sensitive to that as we constantly are reminded of our mileage due to the on screen display.
    Not all that much differences in the gasolines anymore................

6. calpal

calpal New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What is Grill Blocking and how do I get it done?

7. HardCase

HardCase SilverPineMica, the green one

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As others have said, it's the colder weather, not the gas or snake-oil additive. You might want to check your tire pressure too, cold weather can cause that to drop.

8. martynofish

martynofish Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I live in new york and when the weather gets real cold and drive short distances i only get in the upper 30s . When i drive on pkwys i get around 45. IN the warmer weather i average 45 to 53. Tires 42 front 40 rear

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search Grill Blocking using the search link in the top right of the page.

It is blocking the grill to retain engine heat, mostly done in extreme cold but can be used to advantage in warmer areas if you have a means to monitor coolant temperatures. (Scan Gauge or similar)