1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EZPass - Internal or External Tag

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by scwolfe, Apr 10, 2005.

1. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

I just picked up my new Prius this past Saturday and now want to get a New Jersey E-ZPass for it. Does anyone know if the internal tag works in the '2005 model?

Also, if you have an internal or external E-ZPass tag, where did you mount it?

Thanking you in advance for your replies, Steve

2. mss

mss New Member

Steve:

I have an internal EZPass mounted on a 2005 for the past three months. I only use EZPass a couple of times a week at most, but I have not had any problems. The same as my other cars, I have mounted it just in front of the rear view mirror, so that under normal circumstances I don't even see it is there. It is on the clear glass portion of the windshield, not on the "dots" at the edge of the glass that cut down on the glare.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I have SunPass, which works under the same principle. Works fine (why wouldn't it?). Many have reported it even works in the upper glove box, though I would not recommend putting it there.

4. altaskier

altaskier New Member

I have been too lazy to put the strips on the glass to mount mine on the window, so I've been setting it on top of the dash when I need it. Not so good - about a quarter of the time the RF interrogation fails. Add string to finger to get the velcro-like sticky strips...

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Check to see if there is a suction cup mount. They have them here for SunPass. Since those strips went with the Saturn, I went and got the suction cup mount. One benefit is that if you have multi-cars, and EZ-Pass would only be useful in one car at a time, you can transfer it to the other car.

6. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

Thank you all for your responses. I had read that the EZPass does not work in the previous Prius model due to the windshield so I was wondering about the new Prius. I will look for the suction cups, I have not seen them available on the web, does anyone know a site that sells them?

Steve

7. bentdvr

bentdvr New Member

The transponders we have here in California work just fine in the upper glove box. I have had mine there for 3 months and it has worked every time.

8. FBear

FBear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I installed mine directly behind the mirror on the passenger side and it works perfectly. Don't bother with the suction cup mount, as E-Z Pass transponders are assigned by number to each car and if you use it with another car you will have problems with the company that runs the program for the Port Authority of NY/NJ. Trust me I know I rented a car and took my E-Z Pass with me every single toll I paid with it I received a notice that I illegally used the transponder and would not only have to pay the toll but a $25.00 fine. After many letters back an forth they let me write a check for just the tolls and forgave the $300.00 in fines. Never again, it's easier just to pay the toll.

9. jbreynolds

jbreynolds Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scwolfe\";p=\"80130)</div>
    My I-Pass (identical transponder - the Illinois Tollway is planning to join E-ZPass) works just fine on the windshield of my 2002 Prius.

10. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FBear\";p=\"80143)</div>
    I just looked at the NJ E-ZPass FAQ, because I remember them saying you can share your Tag amongst same class vehicles:
    http://www.ezpassnj.com/static/faq/tag.shtml#share

Where they say:

Can I use my tag in other vehicles?

Yes, you may transfer a tag between vehicles as long as they are of the same vehicle class. There are penalties for using a tag in a different vehicle class (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).

Perhaps your problem was that they were unable to read the Tag, and therefore went by the photo they took of your license plate on the car. If that license plate is not registered with EZPass, then they assume you are driving without a Tag, and are fining you for the toll and going through an EZPass lane. Remember this is only a problem if they could not read the Tag! It has happened to my son when he changed his license plate number and did not tell EZPass, they could not read his Tag at one toll, used the picture of his license plate, found who owned the car and fined him. Once we fixed his number online, it was not a problem. I am assuming you need to register all car license plates online with EZPass, so if they can not read the tag, they know who to charge. You then only get charged the normal toll

11. ml194152

ml194152 Member

I put mine right over the black dots on the inside of the windshield. No problem at all.

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

That's what I figured. Over here in Florida, the SunPass is tied to a deposit account. When it goes by a sensor, it beeps, green light lights up, and toll is deducted from your balance. Only time license plate is recorded and you are fined is when the transponder isn't picked up, or if your balance is 0. I am sure they also check for vehicle class. They do want you to register your car, but for occasional use in another vehicle, I haven't seen a problem. I used it in qa van my friend and I rented to get to Miami from Tampa for a cruise. Used it for Alligator Alley.

We get feedback with ours. Green means toll is paid, yellow means balance low, and red means your balance was too low and you are in violation. Also has beeps for the same status. In the rare occasion the transponder is not picked up and you receive a fine, you can submit your transponder ID and they will then cancel the fine and deduct the toll if you had sufficient balance.

Now I wish I could have used my SunPass last summer when I was in NY. Could have saved me lots of time and headaches, especially when I ran low in cash and forgot my ATM pin. I am sure the transponders use the same coding, just that NY/NJ would need my transponder registered with them.

Transponders should work in any vehicle, but if you have tinting on the upper part of the windshield where it is legal, putting the transponder too high up might block the signals.

13. PriusDreamer

PriusDreamer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have a 2005. Standard E-Z pass. instead of mounting (I switched cars and didn't have the velcro like attachments) I put it in the top glove box on top of the shelf. I never have to take it out. I have not had any problem with it being recognized yet. I repeat, NEVER have to take it out. I have yet to permanently mount it (with strips) , but I definitely will.

14. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

Thank you all who suggested putting the EZ Pass in the upper glove compartment, it works perfectly on the NJ Garden State Parkway. Tomorrow I try the NJ Turnpike. if that works just as well, I will velcro it into the upper glove compartment! What a joy, having the ease of EZ Pass with out the ugly look on the windshield!

15. scwolfe

scwolfe New Member

Just wanted to get back to you all. My EZPass works perfectly in the upper glove compartment. I was on the NJ Turnpike this past weekend, no problem there. So works on the Garden State Parkway and the NJ Turnpike. Going over some major bridges this coming weekend, in pouring rain conditions (according to the weather reports). So if it works there, I will mount it in the glove compartment. Thanks to all who responded, I would have never thought of putting it in the glove compartment.

16. raintree

raintree New Member

I got an EZPass this afternoon for my '05 Prius, and had no problem going through 3 toll booths with the pass in my upper glove compartment. No need to have the ugly thing on the windshield.

17. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

There was a problem (in NJ) with EZ-Pass and some, not all, 2005 with SKS.
    (Have to see if I can find the link again) I think its also mentioned somewhere in 3005 owners manual.
    Cure was to turn off SKS (button under steering wheel) as you approach toll booth.

18. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    3005 owner manual? cool.. is that a special release version? does the car hover? lol

i hear that people do the same thing here in CA with the toll bridge badge.. thing...

19. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I've had no problem with SunPass, even flying under the toll bypass at 70MPH (legally). I have SKS.

20. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

Yeah...you have to pay extra for the 3005 manual. This model also has anti-mater drive and flux capacitor option :)
    Been meaning to clean that keyboard.