1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

fabrication of prototype metal insulation structures available

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by douglas001001, Nov 21, 2007.

1. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A supplier that my family's company works with has the ability to quickly prototype and build metal structures.

I've seen mention in other threads of the need for battery boxes for phev conversions, and I thought of something.

If anyone has an idea for a mod in terms of metal shielding (with or without insulation) or structure and you can supply a completed design of what you want, I can get the first one made at material cost relatively quickly.

Underbody metal sheet to divert air flow?
    Clamp/bolt on shields to keep air from hitting the radiator/other areas?
    Custom insulated/ventilated battery boxes

I don't have the know-how to design such things, but if you do.. let me know.

(this doesn't include anything like structural supports or stuff like bt plates, just fabricated sheet metal)

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(douglas001001 @ Nov 21 2007, 10:32 AM) [snapback]542517[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a vote for a skid plate to protect the underside of the ICE and traction motor. Especially if the BT Plate solution does not work with the TOM'S lower front suspension brace.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seconded on the skid plate. The big impediment is figuring out how
    to mount it, i.e. what to attach it to that's structurally strong.
    _H*

4. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how about making a better hubcap that is more aerodynamic and does not require screws to install (perhaps re-use the existing bolts to hold it to the wheel?)

5. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 21 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]542670[/snapback]</div>
    If you can submit a design, this is well within what can be made.

For me to get it done for little cost would involve as little or no effort for the supplier as possible. Ideally no more than emailing the design which he inputs into his program for the laser and other machines to make the part. Its really that easy, this supplier makes parts for commercial airplanes, snowmobiles, etc, so I thought it would be a good resource.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bob64 @ Nov 22 2007, 03:38 AM) [snapback]542842[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure if this would apply to anything that you would want to see externally.

6. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should talk with Cheap!, he is buiding a few different battery box prototypes for plug-in conversions. Would be nice to have machines pumping these boxes out by the dozen with minimal costs and labor in making them.