1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factors affecting HV battery longevity

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by hybridtwins, Jun 13, 2009.

1. hybridtwins

hybridtwins Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Are their any factors (environment, driving habits, etc.) that are known to either positively or negatively affect the longevity of the HV battery?

In my case, I have about 68k on my 2002, and live in an area of Southern California that tends more toward hot than cold temperatures, with maybe a heat wave (100℉+) one or two months out of the year.

I put about 10k per year on the car, the majority of it stop-and-go driving commuting to work and back.

I've also had the HV battery re-sealed, as per Toyota's TSB back in the day.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Heat is the enemy:

• parking in direct sunlight - this can easily bring the temperature in the car to 150F or higher. The electrolyte needs water and heat forces higher pressures and loss of the water.
    • descending hills with brake instead "B" - this can 'heat pump' the traction battery and drive the temperatures even higher
    You're welcome to review some my Prius traction battery experiments. If you have questions, we have a lot of details over in "Prius Technical Stuff", the YahooGroup.

Bob Wilson

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Hybridtwins,

What seems to be a no-no for the second gen Prius, at least, is driving up hill rapidly, right after starting the car. As you may know, the second gen Prius has an engine lube-up phase of operation, commonly S1 for Stage 1. During that first minute after starting, the battery is used for the primary traction power, not the engine. And this can deplete the battery to a low level. As the pack ages, the cells drift apart in their characteristics. When any of the cells become too far off, at low states of charge, and high demand, that odd-man-out cell can become damaged, and the pack require replacement, or non-toyota refurbishment.

There have been two cases of this reported on PC, I know of - one in Colorado, and one in Hawaii.

So, if you have an uphill after start, its best to start the car, wait a minute stationary, then drive.