1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory alarm is any good?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Speedracer, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So this morning, everything was fine until I find out car next me was brake into. :cussing: My garage is know for secure because it has 4 security cameras, extremely bright lights and just across from one of most expensive condo in my home town. But garage is not gated.
    Anyway car brake into was Lexus LS, I don't know why this car was picked. Because there is few other expensive car was parked at garage last nite. Like BMW, MB, MB G-wagon, Crown Majesta, and other. You name it, its like car thief haven.
    So now will happen again? who is next? So now I'm thinking investing G-book system from Toyota, which like OnStar in U.S. They offer 24hr monitoring so, when ever car is brake into the will call me and dispatch police if I desire to. But system cost is too expensive. Its like a 700bucks total.
    Invest alarm or just replace glass
    Men I wish my condo offer onsite garage. :roll:

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my dad just bought a 2005 Camry and had lojack installed for $790 or thereabouts....

so 700 is the going price over here too.

he wanted a Prius too, but couldnt wait as the waiting list is still 6 months here.

3. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Its a standard alarm that sounds when the door is opened 30 seconds after door is locked and closed.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So.. G-book is a car monitoring system like on star... any systems like that here in the US? I know you can't have onstar installed as an aftermarket product. Our 02 Cadillac has it.. pretty nice.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Any thief who would pick a car of lesser value when there is a perfectly good Prius parked in the same lot is not very bright.

In my opinion. :-D

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I suppose so. :)
    Some years back, my Mazda 626 GT Turbo was broken into at a repair place (needed a new gas tank). All the cars there were broken into. The repair guy told me several stereos were stolen, none as good as the stock one in my car. Maybe the after market ones look fancier or something. One of the cars was stolen and driven into a bog.

The only damage to my car was they used and ice pick to punch through the interior door lights and break the bulbs so the lights wouldn't alert anyone on the road. They didn't even take the parking meter change. My guess is these kids (3 late teens) were hunting stereos they could sell.

The holes in the plastic 'lenses' were small enough I just replaced the bulbs. Of course all contracts say the repair place isn't responsible for the car while on their lot.