1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Factory'/Dealer tints diffrent from any ol' tints?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by whitespider, Jun 3, 2007.

1. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So I remember reading/being told about auto-dimming tints that can be put on the prius when you buy it as an option. What's the deal, I went back to toyota and couldn't find it. Was I imagining this? Where does it say anything about their tints?

Also what are self-dimming tints, or whatever I thought I read. Is this something I can't get without Toyota? With the lack of searchable sources I had to finally break down and post here. I even used the search feature on toyota.com and clicked every single link that came out.

Anyone help? As far as I know abotu tints is that it's a film over the glass to block UV rays and heat and such, and the % nubmer is how much light comes in. I know my state laws on tints and such as well. [22 year old first time driver who is waiting on his prius to deliver, see my signature]

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you might be thinking about the auto-dimming mirror. they do tint at port and also at the dealership. most dealerships outsource to a local tint shop- we actually had ours done by the guy who does the dealership's tint.

3. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jun 3 2007, 11:36 PM) [snapback]454777[/snapback]</div>
    Oh wow, I just read about you while getting the email that I got a eply to this thread. I am currently reading the myths thread and read taht you were a certified professional.

So tints from toyota (port or dealer); diffrent at all in any way from tints I can get basically, anywhere else? I was honestly convinced there were 'special' tints that lightened at night or some such from toyota, or somewhere.

4. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    nope, the dealer just charges ridiculous prices for the exact same things

5. whitespider

whitespider Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(YodaddyAlex @ Jun 4 2007, 04:56 PM) [snapback]455177[/snapback]</div>
    Are you absolutely sure? I'm a total newbie so even the littlest detail in diffrence i'd wanna know. Any sources?