1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory engine heater location?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Steve Zettel, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

Perhaps one of the Canadian or European Prius owners can help me out on this one --

I ordered a Toyota Canada, Inc engine heater, p/n CO140-00889 from www.toyotadepot.com. Looks like a very nice OEM outfit, quality cordset, plug cover, etc. Not that it is going to be strictly necessary where I live in Montana -- I'm in the "banana belt" on the nw side of the continental divide -- but it helped bring the order above $200 and took advantage of the free shipping. And later, if and when I retire to the family farm in Wisconsin, it will definitely be nice to have.

Anyway, the very brief one-page data sheet doesn't list a location for the Prius engine, only the 4Runner and Matrix. Perhaps someone can look and see where their factory engine block heater is inserted.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Z
    near Libby, MT USA

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

the heater goes in on the rear of the ICE between the MG housing. Difficult to describe but fit's into the block and is held in with the clip. Hardest part is connection the wire plug. Not an easy install but at least you don't have to drain the coolant.

Edited: probably the easiest is to go to an auto dismantler and see if they have an Echo engine out of the car you will be able to see the location really easy. Looking at an Echo car won't help as they have covers all over the side of the ICE. You need to see the actual ICE.

3. bobc

bobc New Member

Yeah,
    It took me 20 minutes to find it when I installed mine...

I'm assuming that you have the front of the car jacked up. Crawling underneath, it's on the rear-ward side of the engine block. And, it's closer to the MG unit, as Frank mentions, than the fan belts.

You can't see the hole at all and have to feel for it. The cylindrical opening faces the MG. From looking up at the backside of the ICE from underneath, you can see the cylindrical part of the block that it slides into easy enough.

I agree with Frank that the hardest part is attaching the electrical plug after clipping the heater inside the block...

See this thread for photos:
    http://www.priuschat.com/forums/engine-blo...ht=block+heater

Cheers,

4. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

Thank you Frank and Bob for the information. I appreciate the assist, especially the photos -- probably would have taken me considerably longer than 20 minutes to find that obscure location otherwise!

Interesting thread on the heater. Our electricity here in NW Montana is to a large extent hydro -- in fact, I'm a Hydro Plant Operator here at Libby Dam. Unfortunately, due to "deregulation" my personal electricity bill is no longer as low as BC Hydro ratepayers. However, the engine heater plug-ins at the Dam are all unmetered power, and that is where my Prius is going to be spending half it's time anyway. . .

Thanks also, Bob for the great foglamp/DRL how-to -- next night shift I'm going to be installing the HiR lamps from Areometer and following your directions to modify the control circuit.

And Frank, I haven't forgotten about the Toyota forklift. Since I've been back to work they haven't let that thing out of the warehouse across the way. Maybe this night shift I can sneak over and take some pictures and find the operating manual!

Best regards,

Steve Z
    near Libby, MT USA

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I have to admit that for you getting out to your car after it's been plugged in for 8 hours is going to be nice. It should go into stealth right from the first rotation of the tires. But at home a timer and 2 1/2-3 hours before you leave for work will make a difference.