1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory fit backup camera.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Dozzer, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a few question on the toyota backup camera that comes with some models...

Is it a "reverse" view camera (swapped left/right) ?

Is it a "normal" camera.. ie. composite video feed or is it a digital system of some sort ?

I'd like to fit a Toyota camera to an in-car video recording system with 4 cameras.. 2 cameras, wide and narrow view, on the front and rear.

A dealer in the UK wants £378.83p for the camera! I told him "you're having a laugh right?!" then hung up.

So the next solution is a breakers yard for a salvage model (T-Spirit) :(

I'm going to get the video feed onto the MFD using a LockPick device, from CoastalTech probably.... with 2 feeds.. one from rear view camera (provided it's standard composite output) that comes up on selecting reverse gear and the other feed on a push button (steering wheel select) for the 4 camera quad view - press mode twice. The quad view will be controlled using a remote control on an AverMedia car cctv unit and it'll record everything that moves.

Does anyone know the specs of the rear view camera that comes fitted ?
    Specifically the lens field of view and type of camera...

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The '06-'09 models use a standard composite connection for the video feed. The camera itself reverses the signal to give you a "rear view mirror" view on the screen. It does have a fish-eye lens but I do not know the specifics on it.