1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

factory installed xm for 06 prius??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by buckspaul, Aug 12, 2006.

1. buckspaul

buckspaul New Member

wondering what to do about getting xm in my 06 prius it only has package 3 with regular audio system i dont see satellite capable on the radio. can i still get the factory installed xm radio from toyota or should i just cheapy from ciriut city or bestbuy installed will this void the warranty??

2. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buckspaul @ Aug 12 2006, 08:14 AM) [snapback]302044[/snapback]</div>
    The "factory" XM is really dealer installed.

I also have a package 3 and I have had XM now for a month.

The receiver will be installed under the right rear seat. The antenna will be installed on the right side of the dashboard. The XM will be tuned via the built in radio controls with channel info on the MFD.

You use the AM button to change from AM to SAT/XM radio. You also can use the MODE button on the steering wheel.

We have had a XM2Go as well as the "factory" XM. Using the "factory" XM is much easier and convienient.

3. buckspaul

buckspaul New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Aug 12 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]302070[/snapback]</div>
    so you already had the audio system in your car that says sat.. on it before you had the xm receiver installed. im confuse. i called the deal today they told me if you you have an factory audio system that is already satellite capable you can install install the xm receiver if not it wont work.

4. benighted

benighted New Member

You can buy the factory XM kit from coastaltech.

5. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buckspaul @ Aug 12 2006, 10:46 PM) [snapback]302370[/snapback]</div>
    No.

I have the standard Package 3 base radio. NO SAT listed on any button.

The receiver, antenna and interface cables from the XM Receiver and the standard radio/MFD were installed by the dealer.

Your dealer gave you incorrect information.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(benighted @ Aug 13 2006, 12:48 AM) [snapback]302414[/snapback]</div>
    The Coastal or Factory Interactive kits are designed for the Camry Solara.

The official "Factory" XM kit has a Prius specific mounting bracket that is installed under the right rear seat along with a dash mounted antenna.

The Coastal and Factory Interactive kits are very good, use Toyota supplied parts, and interface very well with the Prius. I especially endorse the Factory Interactive kit.

The Factory Interactive Kit installs the receiver in behind the rear quarter panels, subsitute a roof mount antenna for the Sigma windshield mount antenna, and the receiver will only display 10 characters of text where the "official" kit has a slighlty newer receiver that displays 16 characters. The antenna in the Factory Interactive kit can be installed on the roof or on the dashboard.

6. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buckspaul @ Aug 12 2006, 07:14 AM) [snapback]302044[/snapback]</div>
    I have the VAIS SLX installed in my 05 Prius.
    http://homepage.mac.com/brusso/PriusRadio/PhotoAlbum46.html

The "Solara" XM radio has a limitation of 10 characters. I believe this is what Coastal and PriusXM sell.
    The SLX with the XMDirect and the new Toyota Factory XM Radio have a limitation of 16 Characters.

7. buckspaul

buckspaul New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Aug 13 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]302711[/snapback]</div>

what i the slx xmdiect kit??? and the new toyota facotry xm radio? this can be installed in basic toyota audio system without navigation and jbl system?

8. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buckspaul @ Aug 13 2006, 08:07 PM) [snapback]302722[/snapback]</div>
    Vais Tech makes a Lexus/Toyota radio interface for the Terk XM Direct. The price for the XM Direct boxes varies wildly. They list for $50, but I got mine for $20, so do some shopping around.

http://www.vaistech.com/slx.html

http://www.xmradio.com/xm_direct/

Toyota just came out with an improved XM Radio receiver. This is not same as the Solara kit that is being sold by Coastal and PriusXM.

I'm certain the Vais will work with a non-JBL / non-Nav because this is what I have. I believe I read a number of posts saying that the new Factory XM receiver works with the non-jbl/nav radios.

9. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Aug 13 2006, 08:24 PM) [snapback]302730[/snapback]</div>
    VAIS ABSOLUTELY SUCKS. The unit they are selling has known problems in 2006 apps. according to Eugine the manager yet they still sell them. The first one they sent me died after eight days the second one they sent me did not even last 24 hours! I paid shipping the 1st time $24 another $6 each time to return two defects and all they gave me back was the $209 I had to eat the $36 in shipping and lost a half a months pre paid service !!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Still wanna try VAIS? It wasn't fun. The next unit I bought from the local Toyota parts counter. It works perfectly. It's what I should have done from the start :mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

10. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 13 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]302733[/snapback]</div>

By the way the VAIS unit will cost you $210 + $24 shipping + $50 for an XM tuner. Total $284

The latest Toyota version is $299

Also the latest Toyota version has 16 letters like the vais, but Toyota has 18 pre sets the vais is only 12. Toyota's unit is one piece, one wire and an antenna. PERIOD ! It makes for a cleaner install. It does not need to be programmed like the vais unit.
    Which reminds me the vais instruction booklet reads "We strongly reccomend you mount this (junk) unit in a place that is easy to get to for service/updating. Who needs to be bothered with all that?! :blink:

11. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 13 2006, 08:38 PM) [snapback]302733[/snapback]</div>
    I have the SLI and SLX in my 05 Prius and have not had a single problem with them. This is the first I heard there was a problem with the 06 radio.

12. benighted

benighted New Member

My Coastaltech kit does only have 10 characters on the display and I find that to be the only drawback (why the limitation?) If I had a choice I'd get the 16 character version.

I have a 2005 with the standard stereo, the SAT radio function wasn't there until I installed the kit.

13. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 13 2006, 09:07 PM) [snapback]302740[/snapback]</div>
    I got my XMDirect for $20.00 after a rebate. I just did a froogle for it and found a few of the tuners for under $30. There is no reason to pay $50 for the XMDirect tuner.

The SLX uses one of the presets for an Aux-In. If you don't need that I believe they can program it to have a third bank of presets.

The fact that it the SLX can be updated means features can be added in the future.
    I'm sorry you had problems with your 2006 Prius and the SLX but it works perfectly in mine 2005. I use it every day I drive.

14. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Aug 13 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]302774[/snapback]</div>
    Your 2005 is not the same as a 2006 In fact 2004 and 2005s are analog systems and the 2006 is a digital setup. Them problem with the vais units are that they lock up in an '06 cars mute the audio. The manager at vais (Eugine Kaspin) told me the problem lies in the "memory" portion of their unit. My question, is the volume muting or shorting? Who wants to burn up an amp on an aftermarket part when the manufacturer has released the best set up available to date.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Aug 13 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]302786[/snapback]</div>
    Stop defending this. There's no reason to buy an XM tuner at all. the Toyota unit is all in one. Has the 16 characters, has more station pre sets, has mounting hardware (the vais does not) It needs no "Y" adapter at the radio like the vais requires,and the Toyota unit is so close in price now it's foolish to look elsewhere.

15. BobR

BobR Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobZ @ Aug 13 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]302791[/snapback]</div>
    Lets not make this personal; I don't want to get into some argument with you. And please don't tell me what to think or do. I am entitled to my opinion.
    It's too bad you had a bad experience with Vais. My Personal experience has been top notch.

I have both an SLX and SLI installed on my 2005 Prius and they work perfectly. I couldn't be happier.

According to Vais the SLX is fully compatible with the 06 Prius.

16. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BobR @ Aug 14 2006, 02:09 PM) [snapback]303098[/snapback]</div>
    You need to stop with the 2005 YOU own and pay attention to the original post. The vehicle in question is a 2006 and as per VAIS there IS a problem with thier product and the 2006 Prius AMOF the Dennison ICE doesn't work with 2006 either. Again, a 2004-5 has a different analog system than a 2006 Prius with the digital set up right down to the color and appearance of the display! OEM is better the way to go. The OEM unit available now is upgraded and NOT the same as what you sold on ebay a few months ago!

No one is telling you what to do but you can't get your hurt feelings if someone points out that your information is incorrect. There is NO upgrade to ad six more presets as you stated and there is a vais tech forum listing numerous problems.

17. justsoup

justsoup New Member

I have high marks to give Factory Interactive. Jon installed the Sirius receiver and antenna in my 2006 Prius (Package 9). It only took him 1:15 from start to finish. It took me longer to get to his place than the actual installation. If you live in the NoVA area, it's well worth the installation cost to have him do it.

The only limitation I see is the 10 character maximum on the display screen. Otherwise, the steering wheel controls work well, the reception is excellent, and the sound quality is fine. No complaints at all.

18. StevL

StevL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    We had xm installed at the dealer after the sale (2006). I have no idea what they installed but there is a small square-ish antenna on the dash (right side).

Our reception is terrible, it fades out about 30% of the time. I have xm in a GM car and it works perfectly 99.9% of the time.

I called xm radio and they told me to get an outside mounted antenna. Anyone with a similar problem? Any particular antenna you would recommend?

I'm going back to the dealer to complain tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks!

Steve

19. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(StevL @ Aug 18 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]305699[/snapback]</div>
    I have driven in a Prius with a roof mounted antenna and a Prius with a right dashboard antenna. Both worked the same. Tall trees to the south, tall buildings to the south, and some overpasses have caused interference for me with both antenna locations. This is a limitatio of the line of sight requirements of the XM signal.

If you are driving in a North East direction the right front A pillar may interfere with the dash mounted antenna.

There are two negative issues with a roof mounted antenna. On the Sirius and XM boards there is an ongoing concern that the magnetic antenna may scratch the paint of the roof. The other issue is how do you get the antenna lead into the car. Many posts on this board and on the Sirius and XM boards deal with this question.

Most current antennas are now single lead. This makes things much easier.

There are two basic external locations.

1) At the front of the car at the windshield. The antenna lead is run through the windshield seal into the interior and the lead is run under the headliner to the A pillar and then to the receiver. This requires removal of the windshield and then it's replacement. This is a job for a very experienced installer.

2) The most common method and the one recommend by Jon at Factory Interactive is to place the magnetic antenna by the hatch, run the cable under the rubber hatch seal then into the car. My thought is to run it under the rubber seal to the bottom of the hatch, do a drip loop there, then enter the car under the weather seal and through the rear light (break/backup/running) assembly through the grommet sealed holes for the lighing cables into the interior.

A more simple approach is to just go under the weather seal then into the interior.

Review the posts here on the Prius Chat or get a copy of the installation instructions from MetroTPN (a link is posted on this board in a message) or the Factory Interactive Installation Video.

Good Luck.

My Prius has the dashboard mounting for the XM antenna. Our Insight also has a dashboard mount but for a different reason... The Insight has an aluminum body and the magnetic antenna will not work. The dashboard was the only reasonable location for installation and it works fine.

20. StevL

StevL Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    PriusInsight, thank you for the good info and taking the time to post it!

I can't help but believe an external antenna will help. We drive the same routes with my gm product and never have a problem.

I'm not worried about the scratching problem as I will use a foam tape to attach the antenna. I'm not too excited about magnetic mounts on anything.

I figure the roof would give the antenna a great ground plane that the dash simply can't do. I already bought the external xm radio antenna, now to install it.

Thanks again!

Steve