1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory or Aftermarket Bluetooth/Handfree

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by gottagetone, May 13, 2007.

1. gottagetone

gottagetone Member

I'm researching the packages and the only thing I want out of package #3 is the bluetooth. Is aftermarket in-vehicle bluetooh offered? Is it better?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes aftermarket bluetooth is offered (although in that case, you might as well go the route of a bluetooth headset/earpiece).

I don't know if it's better since I use an earpiece.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does package 3 have nav? Nav and Bluetooth are integrated in a factory install: look up a destination, press the Info button on the screen, press the phone button on the screen, and call the destination. Handy to check if a store is open. Also, phone use will mute the audio program automatically with the factory install. Audio quality is good too.

Motorola makes a handsfree Bluetooth speaker set up that plugs into the 12V outlet - essentially a headset that you "wear" in the dash.

4. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GottaGetOne @ May 13 2007, 07:28 PM) [snapback]441268[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know anything about the aftermarket, but I can tell you the Prius factory bluetooth is very nice. If you have a package that has the voice recognition (do they all have it?), you can voice dial by name OR number. You can also use the speed dial options on the MFD, plus the stereo mutes when you make a call or recieve a call. Very nice. AND, the phone rings through the audio system so if you "crank" the stereo (as I tend to do) you won't miss a call.

5. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetMan2 @ May 13 2007, 07:48 PM) [snapback]441283[/snapback]</div>

I have Package 3 - bluetooth/no navigation

I picked up the Katana phone (sprint) on the suggestions of some on this site. It was easy to sest up.

I am not super tech saavy, but did get my phone book in and phone paired. I have assigned some voice rcognition to 3 contacts, but when I Press "Phone" on the steering , It asks me to say NUMBER. How do you get it to ask you for a NAME??

I also like that you can operate AC/defrost/Stereo on the steering.

The upgraded Stereo is adequate for me. I would not trust anyone with this car to do aftermarket install .

Today a guy in a Mercedes pulled up next to me while I was talking "bluetooth". He was "shocked" that the Prius had it on a lower Package. He asked me a lot of questions about the car.

6. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 13 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]441298[/snapback]</div>
    If you press the voice button on the steering wheel and say "dial by name", you will get the correct options. At least most of the time :) I need to read the directions again becasue sometimes it does not seem to work right. It could be me, I did make a misake once... :)

The first time I pressed the button and tried "dial by number" and it asked for the number, I just said a local number and it got it all right and dialed. I could not believe it. Most of the time the VR works VERY good.