1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory Roof Rack - What kind of J Hooks do I get?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dan Buckley, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Dan Buckley

Dan Buckley Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been looking through the forums, but I've not found the information I need. Not trying to repeat any discussion on how to tie a kayak down or what type of roof rack to buy. I am purchasing the OEM rack for my 2016 Prius 2. My question is: What J Hooks (for two kayaks) should I buy? I am unsure what kind fit the factory rack. I have a month before my trip, so I'd rather get this all in order in the next week or so.

Thanks!

2. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    sorry, no can do because I need to tell you NO "j-hooks". Everyone who knows what they are doing using these type of straps and you loop them under the cross bars so each strap goes over the kayak twice. J-Hooks will cause nothing but problems and don't know how you do it on streamlined factory rack bars and hardware will be bitting hull of your new kayaks. If you are handy you could use ropes and trucker's hitch etc but its better to use flat wide straps on kayak hulls.
    I linked red straps so they can count as "red flag" to give cops less reason to pull you over. I've carried many kayaks with just two straps on Thule racks for 100miles at 100mph and never had an issue.