1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory Service Manual

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Mike Anderson, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just purchased my first Prius today. 2013 2 with 42k. Love it so far. I'm new to the Prius but not to hybrids. Had a 2003 Civic Hybrid 5spd that was a gem. I put 300,000 (original clutch!) on it until the pack shorted and caught fire.

I'm a DIY'er and IMHO the most invaluable tool for a DIY'er is a good FSM.

Haven't had much luck finding one for the Prius. I'm talking a real-deal FSM that I can purchase. Anyone aware of where one can be had? I used Helm for the Civic. They have nothing for the Prius other then owner's manuals.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota stopped printing dead-tree versions around 2011. Everything now is at techinfo.toyota.com and all hyperlinked (and, since they are no longer constrained by physical page count, the amount of detail covered is increasing ... they'd be really really thick if you tried to print them).

The wiring diagrams are especially interactive and handy; you can click individual wires or components and the circuits highlight and you can follow them around (on the page, and between the schematic view, physical location view, connector pinout view, etc.).

Especially pay attention to the "NCF" tab; that's the New Car Features manual, which is the one that shows you what all the stuff is and what it does when it's working right and how. The remaining manuals only talk about diagnosing when something isn't working right, and assume you already know what's supposed to happen from the NCF.

Service bulletins and warranty extensions, etc., are also on there, as well as the course materials for any University of Toyota technician training courses you'd like to bone up on to learn about any part of your car in greater depth.

-Chap

Mike Anderson likes this.
  3. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the info!

So it's subscription based? Before I take the plunge, can I download content or do I only have the 2 day window to access?

wenreder likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Folks often use their access window to download parts that interest them for later reference ... pro, you don't depend on techinfo being up and working the exact moment you need to look at it later; con, generally ending up with a static PDF where none of the hyperlinks work.

-Chap

Mike Anderson likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OTOH, the basics, like oil and filter change, transaxle fluid change, brake inspection, spark plug inspection/change, are pretty much set. PDF is fine for those.

With a static pdf of the whole thing you can "print" pdf of the bits you need, for torque values, quantities.

6. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you are going to do your own maintenance...Buy Techstream ...with subscription....Especially if you are confident and want best tool to work on this cars....

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.