1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory stereo or XM radio modulator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kente777, Nov 28, 2005.

1. kente777

kente777 New Member

I heard that Toyota will be coming out with an XM satelite-ready stereo for the 2006 Prius sometime in March. Should I wait for the factory radio or will the XM modulator do just as good a job?

Ken

2. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The XM radio has been out for over a year now! It has just been added by Toyota to the "official" acc. list for the Prius. There is also a Toyota branded Sirius tuner!

3. kente777

kente777 New Member

I went to the list of accessories on the official Toyota site and the only radio listed is the 6 CD changer. It says nothing of satelite capable. Everything that I've read says it will come out in March of 06.

Ken

4. baxsie

baxsie Member

5. kente777

kente777 New Member

So does this mean Toyota DOES NOT currently have an XM ready stereo for the Prius?

Ken

P.S. thanks for the link.

6. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You can go to your Toyota dealer and ask for a SIRIUS or XM tuner for your say, Solara and they will be happy to sell it to you and install it. Now say, whoops, I meant Prius! They will tell you that it won't work in the Prius, or that the part isn't for sale yet. They are wrong. Some dealers out there have half a clue and will sell /install the tuners for you. YMMV.

For the 2004 - 2005 Prius, all of the radio will accept the XM/SIRIUS tuner. The 2006 should be the same, I don't think anyone has tried yet. You press the 'AM' button to cycle through AM/SAT1/SAT2/SAT3. On the 06' the button is labeled "correctly", 'AM/SAT'.