1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory vs Dealer Extended Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by godzillaismad, Nov 29, 2009.

1. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

Hello,

I am about to put an order for a demo Prius 2009 (2010 in US), and am thinking whether to get the factory extended warranty. The dealer is giving a 3 years/50,000km extension if the Prius is serviced at the same dealership, which is something I might not be able to honour due to unforeseen circumstances in the future, e.g. move to another states, city, etc.

But I heard this factory extended warranty can be costly (www.toyotaextracare.com.au). Worth the trouble of getting one with the Prius?

2. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Always purchase the factory warranty. (Toyota Extracare) The factory warranty is honored nationwide by all Toyota dealers. The dealer's warranty is only as good as the dealer that sold it, (even though they likely sold it through an independent insurance company) and often doesn't cover some significant components.

Never ever purchase a dealer's warranty. This reply is from a fleet sales director at a major Toyota dealer in the US.

1 person likes this.
  3. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is a Toyota, the most reliable car on earth. Buying an extended warranty is like throwing your money in the garbage.

4. egale

egale New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is until your first high priced repair!

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Guys, let's keep this discussion about the merits of factory or aftermarket warranties, not whether one is "necessary" at all. That discussion has been bashed around time and again.

6. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should clarify my post. Always purchase the factory warranty. (Toyota Extracare)

The decision to purchase an extended warranty is up to the individual purchasing the vehicle. I am not advocating or condemning whether to purchase an extended warranty. But if the decision is to purchase one ALWAYS purchase the Toyota ExtraCare warranty from the factory. DO NOT purchase an aftermarket warranty.

7. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I agree. The purchase of extended warranty is to have a peace of mind that if extended care is required, it will be taken care of by the insurer. Who's in a position to honor this than the original manufacturer of the vehicle. You may pay a little more but that's what you want in the first place - peace of mind.
    I would either buy it from the factory or not buy it at all.

8. godzillaismad

godzillaismad Member

What timing this has proven to be... I was made to believe that my dealer was giving me a factory extended warranty quote, but latter found out that it's underwritten by some after market insurance company... I guess I am not getting one now.

This is crazy, there is virtually no dealership which can genuinely tells me that I am getting "The Extended Factory Warranty". To make thing more complex, the warranty must be purchased with the vehicle at the same time, so it's take it or leave it.

After all this, I think I will just leave the extension warranty out of this purchase and get an insurance which provides one after 2 or 3 years ownership.

Thanks guys for all the suggestion and information. Happy Priusing!

9. liskipper

liskipper Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Toyota Factory Extended Warranty can be bought up to 36,000 miles or 36 months from time of delivery. You can get it from the Prius Chat store, or follow several links for even better deals. To reiterate - it does not have to be bought at time of first purchase or from the dealer you bought the car from. Any dealer telling you otherwise is lying. Here is Toyota's official link for information: Toyota Financial Services

1 person likes this.