1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory XM Installation?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by PriusInsight, Jun 1, 2006.

1. PriusInsight

PriusInsight New Member

We are now reading reports of Prius Owners havng the offical Toyota XM radio installations for the Prius.

There are now some unanswered questions.

1) Will the Factory Kit work in 2005 and 2004 Prius cars or just the 2006?

2) Will the Factory Kit work in all models of the 2006 Prius including the Base Package 1, Non-JBL radios, as well as the packages with the JBL package and the 6 cd changer. Will it work in cars with the Navigation system?

3) Which XM receiver is needed? There are reports of some installations with an older receiver with the 10 character limit as well as other installations where the receiver displayed 16 characgters.

We also know that the Vais Interface works in all Prius cars and works with the XM Direct receiver. It has short cables. One PriusChat member BobR has it and is very happy with it. He installed the Vais interface behind the glove box and the XM Direct in the glove box.

I do not want to use the glove box to install the XM direct receiver.

Does anyone know of an alternate location behind the dash where the Vais interface and the XM Direct Receiver can be installed without using the glove box?

The cables are short so the right rear quarter panel area used by PriusXM, Coastal and Metro will not work.

I thank everyone in advance for their input.

2. wtucker

wtucker Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusInsight @ Jun 1 2006, 10:04 PM) [snapback]264404[/snapback]</div>

Yes, the install kit does work with my '05 Prius. I'm the one that got an older xm tuner assy. I do not know if it is the older tuner that causes the limited 10-character display or the embedded '05 sat radio text screens. My feeling is the older tuner is the problem there. Otherwise, works great! Sounds great! All voice commands also work, i.e. Sat1, Sat2, Sat3, seek up, seek down, type up, type down. The voice commands are limited to Prii with the installed voice activated nav system. Steering wheel buttons and radio controls do work also. The antenna was installed in the upper right corner of the dash, as illustrated by a photo in another post. Here is an except from the '06 installation guide. It appears that the MFD that is being removed is a non-nav enabled unit.