1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Factory XM Kit antenna question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by adegiulio, Jul 16, 2007.

1. adegiulio

adegiulio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A couple of months ago I installed the XM tuner kit. It was a nice easy install, and as per the directions, I placed the antenna up near the front of the dashboard. Well, as some of you know, the reception isn't too great, and I would like to install the antenna on the roof. My question is, can I install the antenna that came with the kit, or do I need a different, more weatherproof, antenna?

Thanks for any help

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The same antenna can be mounted outside the car, Others here will tell you how.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG] A great way to do it (albeit with a mild loss of signal) is to buy one of the shark fin antennas (sold in the Priuschat shop), run the wire through the hole where then existing radio antenna whip is, then hide the XM antenna under the shark fin.
    [​IMG]

4. b777

b777 New Member

I have a 2007 Camry Hybrid with XM and a 2007 Prius with XM that I installed and there is no difference in reception. I personally like the antenna on the dash, but make sure it does not touch the window. The Camry's antenna is located in the back window area inside also.

5. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

As the others have stated you can use the same antenna. If you don't want to buy a shark fin antenna, which I don't think they pick up FM to well, but guess its not an issue with getting satellite. However, as I was saying you can just put the antenna on the roof right in front of the rear hatch very easily.

The person who posted the pics ran it through the headliner which you can do, or run it up around the hatch and place it on the roof in the middle if you don't want the sharkfin.

hit me up if you have any questions. Good luck.

6. sagediaz

sagediaz Guest

If you replace your FM Antenna with the sharkfin, how is your Fm reception? Does the shark fin somehow have both an FM antenna connection as well as an XM or do I have to choose one over the other? I'd like to replace my magnetic dash mount XM antenna with a permanent roof mount solution however not at the expense of the FM. I wish they came out with a combination XM sharkfin/FM whip antenna. Anyone have any ideas?

7. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SAGE @ Jul 17 2007, 05:20 AM) [snapback]480128[/snapback]</div>
    Sage,

The sharkfin antenna is the replacement for the FM antenna on the roof, if you get that antenna it simply sits on top of the xm antenna hiding it. While the xm antenna worked fine under it, I feel that the sharkfin severely cuts down reception of FM stations. While it was not a deal breaker for me, I do like to listen to some local stations for traffic alerts etc, but find that even my station in my home city is no longer that strong of a signal with the FIN style. I live in a hilly area in Eastern PA so am thinking that is my cause as some claim the FIN works fine for them.

Anyways, thats my two cents. good luck :)

8. Elephanthead

Elephanthead Junior Member

I see people running it u through the hatch and sticking it on the roof, its not hidden, but that has to be the best spot, I was thinking of intergrating it into my spoiler, but it would look ganked up, so I didnt do anything. Its black, I don't see why you can't put it in the hood cowl somewhere.

9. rsvogt

rsvogt New Member

I had the Soundlinq2 SL2x XM interface installed in my new 2007 and I could not fine the antenna. After checking with the installer I found he had installed it under the dash. I can tell you it works perfectly. The installer claimed that with the sloped windshield it would not be a problem. Nothing to see at all - just listen to XM.