1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failed Door Locks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by rhe, Aug 17, 2010.

1. rhe

rhe New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 Prius. Just after the Warranty expired which is 3 years in the UK, the passenger door lock would not open.

Toyota replaced the lock and it was fine.

Then the rear near side door did the same thing and sometimes the drivers door. I reda the Forum and replaced the Aux Battery, it didn't work so I took it back and Toyota replaced the Passenger door lock and returned it. A day later the Drivers doro wouldn't open and won't since.

So what is it, surely it's not as simple as 3 locks failing at 3 years?

If I take it back to Toyota they will replace the door lock I'm sure and at £220/$340 per visit it's costing me loads.

Any ideas, thanks?????

1 person likes this.
  2. Dave W.

Dave W. New Member

I have a 2006 Prius also. I had two of the 4 door locks fail and I replaced only the driver's lock based on the high cost. Since that time (2 years ago), the other 2 door locks have failed and this week the *new* driver's door lock failed again. I hate to take it back to the shop and pay another $400 to replace it again but I cant get into the car now without removing the little key from the clicker box, opening the door, and putting it back into the clicker in order to start the car.

I am concerned that the rear lift door lock will fail and I will be unable to lock it or unable to unlock it. There is no other way to open this back door, even with the manual key. Does anyone have any experience with the back door lock failing (the lift gate) ? Does it cost more than a passenger or driver door lock ?

Is there a Toyota service bulletin on this issue ? It seems to be a design flaw and makes me suspicious about buying a new Prius, although I would like to get a plug-in Prius later this year when the California carpool sticker runs out and I am forced to drive in the traffic with the ordinary drivers.

3. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I too have a door problem. The rear driver side on my 2005 Prius won't unlock. I'm not willing to spend the money on such a "minor" thing. I just deal with it.

4. Teakwood

Teakwood Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is the Gen III forum.
    Do these problems with the Gen II relate to the Gen III?

5. Dave W.

Dave W. New Member

6. waldhorndude

waldhorndude New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Rear passenger Lock will not unlock/lock with automatic button. I have to manually lock or unlock.

Any solutions?

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you lubricated the door lock mechanism?

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  9. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this is not a problem of the prius but all toyotas, we have owned 2 92 camrys, 97 avalon, 02 vibe, 01 rx, 04 corolla, 04 prius & 05 prius and almost all of them have developed this problem.

the failed part is called the actuator, in the old days you could open the door panel and replace the $7 part, now you have to buy the entire locking mechanism, my dealer charges 3/4 hour labor plus $344 for parts.

when you look at the lock of the door that is in question, you can usually see it wiggle but not able to overcome the friction necessary to fully unlock the door. Have you checked the battery voltage, try putting a float charger on the car and see if the problem goes away, if so than a new battery is in question, I can't help you in UK but I have posted in the main forum a way to buy the prius optima battery for $151 in US. When replaced a battery in one of our prius the problem went away.

However I have read the post (but forgot to bookmark it) about the person who opened up his door panel and lubricated the locking mechanism, this is great preventative maintenance, someone plz post a link to it, if I recall the post had good pictures but they never circled the areas they lubricated and told us what they used to lubricate.

another similar & common problem of toyotas is window regulator failure, especially the drivers window as it is used more often than other windows (drive thrus, toll booths, asking for directions, whistling at girls, etc). spray silicone spray on paper towels and lubricate both the inner and outer rubber door seals. These dry over time and create a lot of drag, the motors aren't that powerful, press your hand on the window hard and try to move the window, it'll barely move. Just a few minutes work a few times a year revives those window seals and your window regulator may last the life of the vehicle. do the drivers window monthly if you use it a lot.