1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failing clock spring killed stereo?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by james909, Dec 5, 2023.

1. james909

james909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. A few of the steering wheel buttons on the right hand side stopped working then the other day it went a bit nuts as if they were being repetitively pressed the results of which I could see on the HUD. Eventually it stopped and some buttons still work and others do at certain steering wheel rotations. During this episode the stereo first became unresponsive when i tried to make selections on the hud then the radio station frequencies disappeared from the display. Ultimately the stereo now won't turn on at all. The rest of the hud works normally. Any ideas. I thought it's blown the fuse but other things all work and I believe it shares a fuse. Dome and acc.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose a short in the clock spring might do it, but it could be the stereo itself

3. james909

james909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I checked the onboard diagnostic. It says audio h/u nocon and g/w no error. Rest say chk. Then they all changed to ok except h/u still says nocon. How do I disconnect and reconnect the h/u?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    See if there’s a fuse or disconnect the 12 volt negative

5. james909

james909 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi. I just went and.pulled all three fuses. Dome, acc and amp. All look good and.all that happened is I reset a few things like clock and mpg etc. I already tried the 12v.

The 12v is down to about 11.4v. Still starts the car ok but I know it's on the way out. As everything else works I sort of ruled that out as the cause.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, if the car makes ready, the inverter is powering everything throgh the battery.
    sounds like a dead head unit