1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failure of New Front Wheel Bearing at 1k Miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, Dec 26, 2021.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I recently had both front wheel bearings replaced on my 2006 Prius at 185k miles. This is the third set of front wheel bearings on this vehicle.

My 2009 Prius is also on its third front bearing set at 220k miles. Generally both my Gen II Priuses experience a front bearing failure at roughly 90k mile intervals. When one front bearing fails I replace the other side's bearing, too, at the same time.

The mechanic uses new bearing assemblies, not just new bearings. I know this because the threaded studs on which the lug nuts are screwed are visibly new.

The same repair shop has performed all these bearing replacements on the two vehicles. I know the shop's owner and I'm confident in his extreme expertise in Prius repair. His mechanic also has demonstrably high skill and long experience with Priuses.

However, today a recently-replaced bearing failed at 1k miles. The first 500 miles were noise-free and unremarkable. The failed bearing's humming noise went from zero to absolutely deafening in the next 500 miles.

FWIW, at the same time the short-lived bearing was replaced the shop also installed new front struts, new CV axles, and new ball joints. The axles and ball joints were replaced because their boots had cracked and grease was coming out of them.

Anyone in this group have any idea why a new front wheel bearing installed by an experienced Prius mechanic would fail at 1k miles?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have on this.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It certainly is pretty unusual. Seems like there's only two options. The quality of the hub assembly or the quality of the installation. Perhaps a third possibility....the only other thing I could think of is if the knuckle(s) where the hub is installed is twisted or bent, causing the hub to deform when it's torqued down, resulting in the bearings also deforming.

SFO and dolj like this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Even the cheapest bearings come with a warranty, though no manufacture will ever cover the installation labor.
    Since your shop likely supplied the "parts" (and pocketed the mark up), will they warranty their work, and be willing to replace them for free?

Which brand bearing was installed?

4. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Both of these comments were quite helpful, especially the comment on bent knuckles.

On the question “which brand was installed” I think the answer will come after I tow the vehicle back to Indianapolis.

This all happened yesterday on a trip out of state. Still looking for UHaul towing gear this morning.

5. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Wow never heard of . I generally. It a quality brand . Yeah I know . For my gen3 I have two aluminum arm assys. So I can just install new bearings and ball joints to me it's easier to swap the whole assys. At once .. my gen2 both at 300 K never replaced dead quiet still . I'm ready to do. vehicles not.

SM-A715F ?

7. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Assuming complete bearing assemblies means hub and bearing, and not just bearings. If you watch some youtube videos showing how to replace hub and bearing, some mechanics or diy's use a sledge hammer to pound the hub bearing from the knuckle. I cringe watching some of those videos. Maybe get some complete knuckles from a salvage yard for $50 each and replace your knuckles as well. Thorntown Metal Recycling and Auto Parts near you.

THORNTOWN METAL RECYCLING & AUTO PARTS LLC | Thorntown, IN