1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Failure

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dreichla, Oct 21, 2005.

1. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Goto Google and type in "Failure"

At the moment, it's giving an interesting result.

2. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    That is classic! Google knows...

MM for pres.

3. popoff

popoff New Member

Marilyn Monroe???

4. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    Michael Moore. Yep, I'm one of "those people"...

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

No, Mohammed Mahir-Maharesh.

Governor in charge of what was formerly known as the United States under the "leadership" of michael moore.

:ph34r:

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Worthy of a screen capture and printout.
    That baby's getting hung on my wall.

That's equally as funny as the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" page of a couple years ago. For those who didn't know, you used ot be able to enter "weapons of mass destruction" into the Google search bar and hit the [I feel lucky] button to get a page that mimicked the IE error 404 page. Except that it said things such as:
    The weapons you are looking for are currently unavailable. The country might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your weapons inspectors mandate.

There's another one pertaining to "French Military Victories" here:
    http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html

7. dreichla

dreichla New Member

From Google - Here's why this works

Googlebombing 'failure'

9/16/2005 12:54:00 PM
    Posted by Marissa Mayer, Director of Consumer Web Products

If you do a Google search on the word [failure] or the phrase [miserable failure], the top result is currently the White House’s official biographical page for President Bush. We've received some complaints recently from users who assume that this reflects a political bias on our part. I'd like to explain how these results come up in order to allay these concerns.

Google's search results are generated by computer programs that rank web pages in large part by examining the number and relative popularity of the sites that link to them. By using a practice called googlebombing, however, determined pranksters can occasionally produce odd results. In this case, a number of webmasters use the phrases [failure] and [miserable failure] to describe and link to President Bush's website, thus pushing it to the top of searches for those phrases. We don't condone the practice of googlebombing, or any other action that seeks to affect the integrity of our search results, but we're also reluctant to alter our results by hand in order to prevent such items from showing up. Pranks like this may be distracting to some, but they don't affect the overall quality of our search service, whose objectivity, as always, remains the core of our mission.

8. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

The Google process and this "google bombing" is classic MM and his co-hort tactics, that use every mean and every way regardless of any consequence, morality or final result, to accomplish political goals, that may or may not be in general favor at the time.

It is no less then to compare it to the Goebels machinery of the 30's and 40's of the Second World War. While it is not illegal in this country, one must hope users, and persons who come into contact with such modern media, are of sound mind and can easily spot such efforts. But saddly this may not be the case, so our side is constantly having to remind people to be TRULY cognizant, impartial, and hopefully reach a decision or opinion based on SOUND, FACTUAL and consistant morality or approach. Now some of you may understand WHY some of us are so infuriated and disgusted, with this "modern game".

9. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I had never heard of googlebombing. I have to agree with the spokesperson for google. I have NEVE yet used google for political searches and I doubt if most people do. I rely on google to link me to as many sites as possible for whatever it is I am looking for.

Sometimes, just to see interesting things, I delivberately skip the first 10 pages of results. Talk about some esoteric stuff out there.