1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

faint metallic noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by elmofongo, Aug 15, 2006.

1. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Greetings,

I keep hearing this metallic rattle from the driver side whenever I drive on rough pavement specially on the freeway.
    It's pretty high pitch and seems to be coming from either the driver door or the front driver side wheel.
    It sounds like coins or jingles. I was wondering if anyone has experienced it.

Thanks

-A

2. chich2000

chich2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elmofongo @ Aug 15 2006, 07:07 PM) [snapback]303792[/snapback]</div>
    I have noticed this too. If it is anything like what I keep hearing. It is the spring inside the Oh S**t handle on the driver's side. If you push the handle when it happens you can hear the sound go away. I think a solution that might help (I have not done this yet) is to add just alittle bit of grease to lubricate the spring. Hope it helps :D

3. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Check the hood support metal bar. You know the bar that you bring down to keep the hood up? The hindge part can move around and make noise.

Dennis

4. mrinella

mrinella New Member

I heard a hollow metallic noise when backing down my driveway in my new '06. Wasn't until I washed the car this weekend that I realized it was just the wheel trim rings that were making the noise. Could this be what you are hearing?

5. harrv

harrv Member

I hear a rattle quite often coming from the side post where the side airbag is. I notice it on both sides. One of the only annoyances I have with the Prius is that it rattles.

6. elmofongo

elmofongo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for all the suggestions on the noise sources.
    I'll try to find the source and post my findings.

7. RichBoy

RichBoy New Member

I think you should take it to your Authorized Toyota Dealer , they are best qualified to fix it.