1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fair price for a '07 Water pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jdtechtalk00, Jun 27, 2011.

1. jdtechtalk00

jdtechtalk00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello guys and gals,

First and foremost, I hope that everyone had a wonderful weekend :cool: I need a new water pump for my '07 Prius so out of morbid curiosity I rang the dealer to inquire how much they charge for a new one. I had to sit down for this one- $110 just for the pump assembly! :rolleyes: Now I know that stealerships are almost required to charge exorbitant prices for their parts but this was simply flabbergasting. I replied with a polite thank you and began a search for a cheaper parts source..

My prerequisites for a Prius water pump is that it be brand new, OEM and reasonably cheaper than the dealer's asking price. Thus far, the cheapest water pump that I was able to locate is $68.79 from toyotpartseast.com.

This is where you fine folks will hopefully be able to weigh in on the situation: is $68.79 is the least expensive price that I'd pay for an OEM water pump? Anyone have a cheaper source, save for eBay or craigslist? I'd truly appreciate any insight! :)

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    $69.26 plus shipping at Champion Toyota, Houston. MSRP is $92.34. I would not object to paying MSRP at a local dealership in the interest of saving time but it is ridiculous when the dealer feels the need to charge 20% above MSRP as is the case at your dealer. (Although, NYC is a very high cost area.)
    Champion ToyotaWorld

I suggest that you replace the serpentine drive belt while you are at it. That costs $13.74 at the above website.

3. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    jdtechtalk00,

First of all, you don't identify which water pump you're speaking of. There are 3 pumps that move water/coolant in the Prius. There is one for the engine coolant, one for the inverter coolant, & one in the engine coolant loop that pumps hot engine coolant into the coolant storage tank (thermos bottle) after shutdown (& out off the same tank & into the block just prior to start-up.

If you're talking about the INVERTER coolant pump, then you MAY get the pump, 1.1 gals of coolant, & the labor for the job free under a limited service campaign that covers from 2004 through PART OF the 2007 models (after the s/n cutoff, the new pumps were installed right on the assembly line).

If you ARE talking about the INVERTER coolant pump & you want to check on the campaign to see if you're before the s/n cutoff so that you qualify, here's a link to the thread that discusses that limited service campaign. Two things to consider if you do qualify are : that it is in effect through November of 2013 & if by any chance you already had to pay to have the inverter pump replaced, there is a procedure in place to reimburse you for the pump, coolant, & labor. Now here's the link.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...call-alert-2004-2007-inverter-water-pump.html

By the way, I think you did good to get that $68 price for whichever pump it is. Was the $110 price from the first dealer for the pump only, or did it include the labor charge also?

Edit : This was being typed while Pat Wong was submitting his post.

Edit #2 : I just happened to see in post #138 of the thread I linked you to that a dealer wants to charge that poster $387 to replace the engine coolant pump (I'm guessing pump & labor, but how much of it is for only the pump?)

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also partznet.com, which is Conicelli in New Jersey. They have a special right now, get 5% off with code 4july5

Unfortunately, you are on the hook to visit a dealer to get the coolant, Toyota Super(expensive) Long Life Coolant, at $22+/gallon.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Actually, there are four pumps. The purpose of the fourth is to circulate engine coolant into the cabin heater core when the gasoline engine is not running.

Add a fifth if you want to count the windshield washer pump... :cool:

6. jdtechtalk00

jdtechtalk00 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ken,

I would like to clarify that I was referring to the water pump for the engine coolant; sorry for any confusion that my slippery semantics may have caused! :)

The dealership was charging $110 just for the water pump itself, so I would be looking at about $250 or so on top of that price when labor is factored in. Since labor will always be somewhat pricey no matter where I take in my Prius I have decided to save some moolah wherever I can so I bought the $68 pump from toyotapartseast.com.

One more quick question though since I have you guys- can anyone recommend a reputable independent Toyota shop in NYC that specializes in Prius repairs? Thanks for all the insightful input folks! You guys rock! :rockon:

7. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hey, Pat Wong,

In that same post #138 (that I referred the OP to), I saw that phoebeisis said that the service writer told him there were 4 pumps (as you just stated), but I thought that was just a mis-informed dealer person giving phoebeisis some BS (as often happens). Thanks for sharing the function of the 4th pump that really does exist. I didn't know there was one for the heater core too. It must be another electric one too, to work with the engine off.

If you're going to have some fun by throwing the 5th one in there (the windshield washer pump for the front), I'll have some fun too & throw in a 6th one (the windshield washer for the REAR---does that count too?).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)