1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fairytale ending for globing warming...

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 22, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So let's say global warming results in the catastrophe that is predicted by scientists. Multiple major coastal cites are buried underwater by the melting icecaps. When the undeniable evidence of global warming shows itself, even the fossil fuel lackey naysayers can no longer defend their position. The fossil fuel powers lose their political clout. The multinational conglomerates pour their resources into renewables. I'll say solar and wind win out since that's where GE has invested in. The oil companies with their piles of cash will follow suit.

With what will turn out to be essentially unlimited energy man will have the tool to reverse the ill effects of global warming. How will they do this? Well, there will be a significantly increased amounts of unliviable deserts near the equator(worse than what is today). Man will scale up the production of desalination plants. With unlimited water from the ocean, man will feed the deserts with desalinated water and re create epic forests that will replace and exceed the amazon. These new giant CO2 sinks that will stabilize the global warming, maybe even reverse it. It'll take about two to three hundred years, but man will eventually get right, though not before we lose New Orleans again, and a couple of other cities. Sound like a realistic future?

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jul 22 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]290574[/snapback]</div>
    Sounds great...except that the Nations can barely agree on anything now. Even when faced with a catastrophe like this, I doubt they will ever work together long enough to actually solve any of these problems. More likely they will fight over the resources that are left and leave us with a "Mad Max/Road Warrior" or "Waterworld" scenario. I know, sounds pessimistic...but just looking at all of the fighting and hatred in the world today makes it hard to see how all of that would suddenly change.

3. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, never happen. Besides that what difference would it make with the world population doubling every few decades anyway? We are doomed.

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Jul 22 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]290601[/snapback]</div>
    Somehow I doubt that the population trend will continue unabated, especially with a substantial decrease in ariable (sp?) land.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What makes you think we'll be around to fix anything?

With limited food, water, land, etc. there is going to be someone trying to take it away from someone else. What's going on in the Middle East is spit in comparison.

Too many wackos have The Bomb. Too many of us in the way.

The time to do something is now. But voters can't band together far enough to effectively throw out the problem. And the possible replacements are all just as bad. Because you can't get into the system to get close enough to get elected unless you are part of the good ol' boy problem. Or by the time you've climbed your way that far up...you've been corrupted.

Maybe we *do* need a good, civil disobedient revolution. But that's not going to happen either. Not enough consensus.

6. glenhead

glenhead New Member

Aw, c'mon - Mother Nature is an expert at introducing designer plagues, ones that take out a vast swath of the earth's population. Give it a while, it'll happen again, despite the advances in modern medicine. If Ebola or one of its brethren mutates to the point that it doesn't kill off its carriers before they can spread it farther, it'll be "interesting" for a while. Then the global warming or global cooling, or ozone hole or lack thereof, or cyclamates causing cancer or not, or whatever the next "panic du jour" happens to be, will become moot. The next panic-monger's fifteen minutes (or years) of fame will just be another Chicken-Little moment we can all laugh about a decade later. (Cynical old booger? Me?)

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 25 2006, 11:41 PM) [snapback]292390[/snapback]</div>
    I don't believe we're doomed, but neither do I believe in fairytales. I'm doing something about it in my own small way, knowing full well I'm being laughed at by some and quietly praised by others. Maybe the revolution we need isn't political, but economic. As 'consumers', our dollars are counted a little more closely than our votes, and collectively, we have more power than we know. Power isn't given, it's taken.