1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fall preparations: engine oil, air filter, throttle plate, and transaxle oil

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Oct 4, 2009.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I changed the ICE oil and knocked the dust out of the air filter. I'll swap it in the spring. The windshield wipers are still in good shape. But the throttle body cleaning was interesting:
    [​IMG]
    You'll notice a dark carbon deposit to the right of the throttle shaft at the bottom. A shot of throttle cleaner and a narrow brush and it is gone. This sticky deposit in cold weather can keep an engine from starting and lead to a service call. It is better to clean it out in the fall before the cold, wet weather arrives.

The transaxle oil was good news. After 27,000 miles of service it was translucent. Murky but not opaque, it smelled like oil and actually looked better than the 2010 transaxle oil after 5,000 miles. This is Type WS in an NHW11 transaxle. I'll be sending this sample for testing but if the numbers come back looking good, I'll probably up my change interval.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I was going to do an early transaxle oil change. Could you take a look below and comment?

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ed-unprotected-if-not-driving-soon-after.html

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You've got the right idea. I would recommend having a dry, container to grab a sample. If it looks ugly, testing might be a good idea. If it is mostly clear, I wouldn't worry about testing. Your call.

I use R&G Labs in Tampa FL and also get a viscosity index test. This allows checking the viscosity change at 40C and 100C. The goal is to see how much the viscosity has gone down ... 15% is the wear limit R&G recommends.

Bob Wilson

1 person likes this.
  4. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How did the WS fare in the NHW11 specifically compared to type T?

I put WS in the 01 about 10k miles ago, but since the battery has been out i havent got to driving it.