1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

False Prius Sighitngs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by oxnardprof, Apr 30, 2004.

1. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wonder if anyone else occasionally gets confused, thinking a non-Prius is actually a Prius.

To me, at a quick glance, the Matrix is reminiscent, and the Ford Echo.

There is a Mercedes Kompressor that parks in the same lot at work that is also silver in color. I find that I walk towards it before I realize it is not a Prius.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Those would be the 2 that fool me. Also, a Prius Classic approaching in the other direction is difficult to differentiate from a Prius '04 until you can get a non-front end view.

(This reminds me of birdwatching discussions I've gotten into. :) )

3. S5280ft

S5280ft New Member

Toyota makes the Echo. Maybe you mean the Ford Focus? I think the Focus headlamps look like the '04 Prius.

Scott

4. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry, yes, I meant the Echo., the Ford vehicle, I think it has a hatchback version.

:partytime: Finally, I am no longer a Rookie Prius Poster (after one month).

5. toyoprius

toyoprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As much as I hate to say it, the Prius looks similar to the Pontiac Aztec from the rear. And the Aztec has a look that only a mother could love...

I can't take credit for the line from another forum, but there's a lot of truth to "Honey, I Shrunk the Aztec!"

6. jchu

jchu New Member

However the car that the Aztec REALLY LOOKS LIKE is the Honda CRX on steroids. The last version before Honda replaced it with the Del Sol. (My CRX gets 43 MPG highway, has 198,000 and burns no oil). Got our Prius '04 in March

Jon

7. bookrats

bookrats New Member

I will agree -- if I had to pick the ugliest car in production today, the Aztec would be it. What a boat.

8. rflagg

rflagg Member

Yeah, I hated those aztecs when they first came out (still have a friend who desires one) - but then after getting my prius and seeing one, I realized how similar they were. So, although I still am not a fan of the Aztec, I know I can 'thank' Pontiac for possibly giving Toyota an idea for design.

-m.

9. starla30

starla30 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    From the front, the Echo used to fool me, and the Corolla, until I realized that the Prius is the only one of these that doesn't have the Toyota symbol on the front grill, but instead on the hood. The 04 Corolla is much more dynamic than earlier years and resembles the 04 Prius from the front. I usually mistake Echos and Classic Priuses from the front because they both have the hood ridges. But the Prius has more pronounced ones.

10. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

think radio antenna when your coming head on with what you might think is a Prius. Classic it's on the front like a Focus, 2k4 has it on the back. Focus has a grill that looks like a lemon (sniker) and most aren't in Prius colours.

11. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Anyone else come to the awful conclusion that the front end of the Prius (hood grille) looks like Barney's grin? Overall, I love the look of this car and I think it's more "happy" then "techy". "Techy" would descibe the Aztec, and some of the Focus models.

12. texassalsa04

texassalsa04 New Member

My wife and I just came back from vacation in Carmel, California and saw many Prius there. At least 7 that I can remember "in the wild". Here are a couple we saw and took pictures...Where we live, we rarely see another Prius on the road.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Awesome avatar! Where'd you take that picture?