1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Falwell, murdering gays and "God's Grace"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by InTheWASide, Sep 19, 2004.

?
  1. I am Christian, and I agree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I am Christian, and I disagree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I am NOT Christian, and I agree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I am NOT Christian, and I disagree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

This is an exact quote by Jerry Falwell... You know, the pastor from the Larry Flint movie, the one that discovered the purple teletubbie was gay and that said gays and lesbians are WHY 9/11 happened... :roll:

"I get amazed.. I can't look at it but about 10 seconds at these politicians dancing around this, dancing around this, I'm trying to find a correct name for it, this utter, absolute, asinine, idiotic stupidity of men marrying men. I've never seen a man in my life I wanted to marry! ... And I'm going to be blunt and plain, if one ever looks at me like that I'm going to kill him and tell God he died! (strong applause, cheering and laughing from the crowd, nods and smiling from Jimmy Swaggart for ten full seconds)
    In case anybody doesn't know, God calls it an abomination, an abomination, an abomination! These ridiculous utterly absurd district attorneys, 'n judges, 'n state congress.. "well we don't know".. they ought, they ought to have to marry a pig and live with him forever... I'm not knocking the poor homosexual, I'm not, they need salvation, just like everyone else. I'm knocking our pitiful pathetic lawmakers. And I thank God that President Bush has stated we need a Constitutional amendment that states that marriage is between a man and a woman! "

Saying he'd kill them, but later, that he's not knocking them and they need salvation... This is ALL that extremist rednecks, hillbillies and whoever else NEEDS to make the gay discrimination as bad or worse than racial divides of the 20th century and civil rights issues.

In addition to that, Please answer the poll. I never really have luck adding more than 2 topics. If only 2 show up, I INTEND for there to be 4. They are:

I am Christian, and I agree
    I am Christian, and I disagree
    I am NOT Christian, and I agree
    I am NOT Christian, and I disagree

The AGREE/DISAGREE portion is relating to a person with his power of celebrity to gain an audience, saying things that can polarize people, that are ALREADY polarized from all the BS since 9/11 even moreso to where they can be dangerous, because in some people's minds "If the pastor says it, it must be okay. He's a man of God afterall" I'm not referring to the parts about amendments, etc. just the "And I'm going to be blunt and plain, if one ever looks at me like that I'm going to kill him and tell God he died!"

I've never been so disgusted and ashamed to say I believe in the same God as that man... Well, I assume it's the same God, although he sure has a distorted image of... Well, that's my opinion and vote. I'll leave it at that...

2. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

falwell, like most other religious fanatics, has serious psychological problems.

my own 'anecdotal' interpretation is that so much of what their 'god' and religion have told them to believe flies in the face of common sense, human decency, and obvious right and wrong, that the synapses in their brains actually start to short-circuit, and they are like a tilted pinball machine all the time.

3. slumbum

slumbum New Member

What gay man would look at him? I wonder, he said he would never marry a man...I wonder if he'd date one? :oops:

This is an angry person is living in his own private hell, and frankly...I wouldn't want to join him. The bible also says a lot about adultry, genocide, divorce, violating sabbath, racism (yes, Moses married a black woman, and when his children complained they were turned wicked white, temporarily. I think God does have a sense of humor.), capital punishment, intolerence, theft and the list goes on. But I you don't see these bible thumpers touching on these subjects. Nothing wrong with slavery, rape, murder, stealing land so long as you say grace. :guns:

I think these people are afraid of homosexuality because they are afraid to embrace that part of us that is feminine or masculine. It scares the shee-ot out of them. They are so spoon fed what a man is "supposed" to be...what a woman is "supposed" to be that any deviation throws their little brains into a tailspin. :cussing:

Their fear, years ago, was that their children would come home with a Black lover, their fear now is that their son will come home with a boy or their girl a girl. (I am not equating the two, just saying they are irrational fears) Who knows, 30 years from now, it could be a poor lover. There is no shortage of things to hate. As long as you add "...but we love them and want to see them saved" at the end of it.

:mrgreen:
    "White washed tombs,"

4. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slumbum\";p=\"40447)</div>
    You know, in my main topic I did, and I would say go ahead and equate the two. FOR THE MOST PART in the US now, if I white guy introduces his black girlfriend to his friends, the only people that will be shocked are the possibly racist friends, or the people that NEVER knew he had interest in a black woman. Go back a few decades and it was just COMPLETELY "unheard of" although as you said, look in the Bible and one of the first great people mentioned married a woman that was black.

Look in THIS decade and if I guy introduces his boyfriend to a group of his friends, good chances are a LOT of people are gonna get a little retarded. Start talkin up a fight, mentioning therapy or whatnot...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(slumbum\";p=\"40447)</div>
    Yeah, you could get the sentence "I hate homosexuals, but they need salvation" But to turn it to a point where a "religious" man is saying he'll kill em all if they look at him funny, and then "I'm not knocking the homosexual, he needs salvation. I don't like the politicians"

Then technically, shouldn't he be killing the politicians?

And uh, does Jerry Falwell's place have mirrors? I don't know how many people, gay, straight, man, woman, whatever would actually WANT a piece of THAT... :pukeright:

5. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm not sure whether your poll questions is "I agree/disagree with Falwell" or "I agree/disagree that Falwell is an nice person."

But there is already a (very long) thread on gay marriage right here in Fred's House of Pancakes.

I agree with Falwell that I'm not interested in marrying a man. But if a man did ask me to marry him I'd be flattered, and tell him so, and try to let him down as gently as I could. Then I'd invite him to join my church, as we are a "Welcoming Congregation" where people of all races, nationalities, sexual orientations, etc., are welcomed and affirmed. So I disagree with Falwell about killing someone for "looking at me that way."

I'd be surprised if anyone looked at me that way. I'm not as ugly as Falwell, but I'm no great shakes. However, I belong to a gym, where I work out, and take a steam bath and a shower afterwards. And we all know some percentage of those guys are gay. (Probably somewhere between 3% and 10%, depending on who you believe.) So between 3 and 10 out of a hundred of the guys in that shower room are looking around at the scenery, and enjoying at least some of it. :wink:

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think he really want's to do it. He is a latent homosexual and all this talk is a cover up. His will probably has him buried in a dress and heals. Me think he doth protest too much.

7. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas\";p=\"40548)</div>
    The J. Edgar Hoover of our generation? Interesting... Anyone with photoshop able to altar a google pic and show us that? That'd be funny

8. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"40541)</div>
    Poll Q is asking whether it's appropriate for someone of his position of celebrity to make polarizing remarks that are likely to tip some extremists over the top. Do you agree with the actions he is taking and the way he "uses" his "celebrity"?

I know about the gay marriage thread, participated a few times and I think I reawoke it, I was bored and reading through it one night and the post before mine was over a month old I believe...

I didn't think this was the appropriate thread for it though as THIS is about a Christian pastor, well known in the COUNTRY, in so much a way, basically saying "kill a homosexual, I would..."

At least to my knowledge (I WAS born in 1981 and not ENTIRELY sure) during the civil rights movements in the 60's no one said "lynch a(n african american) [we all know what word they would have used] if they look at you funny) Especially not a popular(?)/famous CHRISTIAN such as himself.

Of course it IS coming from the mouth of the one that thought the pic below partially led to 9/11 (the acceptance of homosexuality in America being partially the reason we were targeted by terrorists... wasn't Osama just pissed because we went through Saudi territories in 1990?)
    And yet there's no spoken opinion re: Michael Jackson, Siegfried and Roy, the cast of Whose Line Is It Anyway, Wayne Brady, various skits on SNL and MadTV, the list goes on...

Dude sure picks his battles at random, huh?

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The issues during the civil rights struggles were slightly different, but black men were being lynched for allegedly looking "wrong" at white women. And I think remarks like "If a [black man] looks at my daughter I'll kill him" were not all that uncommon.

The parallels between the civil rights issues of the 50's and 60's, and the gay rights issues today, are strikingly parallel. The treatment of mixed-race couples then and gay couples now; the arguments based on pure, unthinking hatred; and especially the religious component of the opposition to equality, are all virtually identical.

Maybe the only real difference is that a homosexual can choose to "pass" as straight, and a black person could not "pass" as white, unless she or he was very light-skinned.

10. rflagg

rflagg Member

hdrygas hit the nail on the head. David Drier, Ed Schrock, Karl Rove, and the like - many are known to be serious closet homosexuals that have deals with the party - protect our secret about being gay, and we'll support and introduce legislation that's anti-gay, just like you want. But, their forced outings (at least on the first two so far, anyways) to prove their utter hypocracy and idotic ways of dealing with their self hatred will hopefully be a warning to others.

The religious nuts, all they can do is talk whats on their mind. And, quite obvioulsy, they often think about homosexual sex as proven by their intimate discussions about it.

It's ok to let priests molest children, but gays having sex?! God will kill us all!

-m.

11. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rflagg\";p=\"40642)</div>
    Well, I think you're getting a little off topic here although it may just be more nitpicky than anything else, but Jerry Falwell falls in one of the MANY denominations under the umbrella of "Protestant" and the catholic church is the one that has had all the sex abuse hearings, etc. Not saying a protestant priest never did anything, I'm sure some have, but Catholicism and the celibacy that goes along with it I guess messes up the catholic priest mind somewhat more than others...

I'm still astounded by the fact the bishops or cardinals or whatever the hell they're called were all called together to the Vatican for a meeting on "what's our opinion about child molestation?" They had to all get together and DECIDE "THIS...IS....BAD..."

How sad

Oh, and that pic I posted above of tinky winky... I think he looked at me funny... where's my box of bullets...? :roll:

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nah! They didn't have to get together to decide that child molestation is bad. They had to get together to decide how to put the best spin on it, how to cover up the ones that have not yet come to light, how to prevent the scandal from spreading to other countries, where you know darn well the same stuff happens but has not come out in the press yet, etc.

The historical behavior of bishops, when their priests molest children, demonstrates that they are very concerned over maintaining the reputation of the Church, and they could not care less about the victims, or about stopping the priests from victimizing more kids.

It would be easy for the Vatican to clean up the Church. It could be done without any grand meetings. But keeping everything under wraps (where it has not yet come to light), that's the hard one. That needs the combined intelligence of all the cardinals, bishops, etc.

As for Protestants, IMHO bombing churches is not less evil than molesting children. (Though we need to be careful about taring everyone with the same brush: Not all catholic priests are child-molesters, and not all protestants join the lynch mobs.)

As for Jerry Falwell and his ilk, I don't think he really has any opinion about homosexuality one way or another. Falwell and GW and all the rest of them are nothing but hypocrites who are using this issue for personal gain: GW for votes, and Falwell to bring in monetary donations.

13. LewLasher

LewLasher Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I read elsewhere that the original quote was not from Jerry Falwell but from Jimmy Swaggart.

14. rflagg

rflagg Member

You're correct, Lew - Jimmy Swaggart is the one who said this. Sometimes it's hard to tell the crazies apart.

-m.

15. prius04

prius04 New Member

Why can't I own a Canadian?

This is a copy of a Dr. Laura email that went around the internet. When I first read it I did a fact check on the verses that this email quoted and found the interpretations extremely credible.

I bring it up to remind the Christians out there Jesus himself had problems with some of the books in the Old Testament. So lets be careful when we use the Bible to support extreme positions.

Here is the email.

Dr Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22, and cannot be condoned under any circumstance. The following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which was posted on the Internet.

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that (Leviticus 18:22) clearly states it to be an abomination.

End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev.1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in (Exodus 21:7). In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev.15:19-24). The problem is, how do tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. (Lev. 25:44) states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians.Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. (Exodus 35:2) clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. (Lev. 21:20) states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by (Lev.19:27). How should they die?

9. I know from (Lev.11:6-8) that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates (Lev. 19:19) by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted fan, Jim

I particularly like the part about owning Canadians. Lev 25:44.

Mark

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That thing has been circulating on the internet for a very long time. It is as amusing (and as relevant) now as it was the first time I read it. Thanks for reminding us of this one.

Bible-thumpers love to pick and choose which verses to cling to, and which verses to reject. They always have such lovely little arbitrary arguments for rejecting the ones they don't like.

A fundy once told me (with a straight face!) that since Jesus spoke in parables we cannot really ever know what he was talking about, and therefore we should ignore every word attributed to him. This fundy asserted that we were to obey Paul instead.

17. GreenSteve

GreenSteve Web Hosting Provider

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw the recent comments by the Reverend Jimmy Swaggart and found myself as strongly in disagreement with him as I could possibly be.

In fact, I a member of the minority group that he has threatened to murder.

One of my many websites was created just for wingnut types like the Reverend. http://4morewars.com.

I think my position on this matter should be fairly clear.

I don't have my Prius yet, but I signed a sales contract yesterday.

GreenSteve