1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fan blade orientation?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by snijd, Jul 10, 2008.

1. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Could some kind soul tell me which way the fan blades are oriented behind the radiator? Should the rounded (presumably leading) outside edges of the blades be toward the radiator, or away from it? Just ruling out a possible source of a cooling problem. Thanks!

2. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The inner part of the curve of the fan blades faces the back of the car.

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's possible to put them on backwards????:dizzy:

4. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Evidently it is possible to reverse them.

See:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-t...me-prius-overheating-normal-4.html#post610655

It looks very much like mine are both reversed. That would explain why the outside air temp seems to climb to unreasonable levels at the same time the A/C stops working, and the overheat warning comes on. The airflow is not correct.

I guess it's possible I'm just looking at them wrong, but they certainly look like their orientation is not correct.

5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You're most welcome!

Another possibility: This used to happen to me on my -cough- GM -cough- cars: When the fan motors started to fail, they failed because the brushes on the motor wore out. This would cause them to turn slowly, and intermittently. If you ohm tested them, they tested good. If you powered them up, they spun, but more slowly than they should.

After replacing the fan motor, and opening up the old one, it became apparent what was happening - the worn brushes were at the end of their spring travel and would touch the commutator very lightly.

Don't know how many miles you have on your Prius (or whether the Toyota motors last longer) but this might be a possibility.

6. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the reply. I PM'd you with a more detailed question, but I guess I'll throw it out here. Just wanted to make sure I understand that the pointy corners of the blade tips are on the trailing edges of the blades (like an airplane propeller). On my car, these are facing the radiator. That seems backwards, since the fans are behind the radiator.

Since the car only has 20,000 miles, I wouldn't think the brushes would be very worn yet. I tried to get the car into inspection mode, but didn't get anywhere with that. If I could get the fans to start, I could easily determine whether everything is correct--but it sure looks wrong right now.

The only reason the car isn't at the dealer right now is that I'm awaiting arrival of the new warranty paperwork. Wonder how quickly they would have sorted this out, though.

7. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not totally understanding the symptoms, it should be easy to get the fan on by running the engine for 5 min. or so, perhaps less, with everything on! When the fans come on, the airflow should of course be thru the radiator and over or past the ICE. Of course if the dealer is going to fix it free, you have nothing to worry about. It seems to me that normally the construction of the fan is foolproof and does not allow backward installation. Pure conjecture. I'm assuming that like an airplane wing, the leading edge ( closest to the radiator) would have the greatest curve.:spider: PS Should you attempt to hang a kleenex to the front of the radiator, it should be sucking the kleenex on to it.

8. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    An interesting thread from April. UNLESS you had major repair to the front end I would say fan reversal is not causing your overheat problem.

9. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    For whatever reason, they're on the wrong sides, and facing the wrong directions. The 7-blade fan is on the left, and the 5-blade is on the right. Should be the other way, as I observed on another 2006 model today. Since they spin in opposite directions, they are actually working against the natural airflow when the vehicle is in motion. The most difficult part of this is getting the whole fan assembly removed so I can move the fan blades around. Looks like the radiator hoses will have to come off. Hopefully the inverter hoses can stay put.

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you are correct, the partial disassembly of the radiator cooling system and the inverter cooling system requres some knowledge of correct coolants and getting all the air out of both systems. Do you have some sort of manual? If the car is still under warranty? You might want to allow the dealer to work on it. Did you buy the car new?

11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In a earlier post, you said " If I could get the fans to run", Have you checked all the fuses and relays associated with the problem? By working on the car before the dealer has had a chance, you may void the warranty. Did you read Ginnys " I blew up my Inverter" Thread? I have not torn apart my ICE cooling system however it is highly possible that the fans are correct, and they spin in opposite direction.

12. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The fans do run--they were running when I shut it down a couple of days ago. However, they are blowing air in the opposite direction desired. The dealer said he'll be happy to do the work--but because I purchased the vehicle used, the warranty is still being transferred, and I may have a couple of weeks to wait. However, point taken regarding risks to the inverter and cooling system. I may indeed just pay the dealer to do the work, since I know exactly what repair is needed. Thanks for the inputs!

13. KayakerNC

KayakerNC Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Warranty? Was this a certified vehicle?

14. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, Now I have the whole story, there are several recent inputs on the cooling system. It seems if you don,t drain the whole system but only the radiator you will not have to purge the trapped air. I would try not to open up the inverter cooling system at all. There are also threads on this that you should read before proceeding. Somebody put those fans on backwards so you should be able to get at them without too much difficulty. It sounds like there is no room to get at the fans, so you have to remove the engine (ha,ha) just kidding or loosen the radiator. Maybe one of our knowledgable techies will join in and advise. Good Luck. Andy. keep us posted.

15. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Both fan blades are now in their correct locations. :) I double-checked the part numbers, descriptions, and locations with a dealer. The 7-blade fan belongs on the right, and the 5-blade fan goes on the left, as you sit in the driver's seat. So, yes, they can be inadvertently reversed-:eek:-either blade fits nicely on either motor, but they run in opposite directions. BTW, they were facing the correct direction, just turning the wrong way. I didn't have to remove any hoses or drain anything--it's just a tight squeeze reaching up to place the nuts. This wasn't such a difficult job after all. Thanks for all the inputs!

1 person likes this.
  16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Rob,

I haven't paid attention to the two radiator fans before, so please bear with me regarding the following Qs:
    • Do the two fan motors have the same part number?
    • I take it that you personally swapped the fan blades? What does this procedure require? How hard is it to remove the blade from the motor?
    • Did you need to swap the two fan motors; or did you leave the fan motors at their original locations?
    • When looking at the fans from the rear of the car facing forward, which direction is each fan supposed to turn (clockwise or counterclockwise?)
    I am also surprised that this problem did not manifest itself to the original owner. This seems to indicate that the car suffered front-end accident damage and the fans were incorrectly installed?

17. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I can imagine that a Prius could be driven for quite a while without firing up the fans. If you don't use A/C and happen to avoid large hill climbs, it will just self-cool. Not as many kilowatts of waste heat go that way as in most other vehicles.

However, as soon as the blades are spun (backwards) the radiator will stop acting as a heat exchanger and you should very quickly get the coolant into "hi temp warning light" territory.

This counter-rotating fan interchangeability is an interesting design oops. I suppose that Toyota will modify, if they've any money left over after "operation lithium"

18. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Patrick,
    See my response below...

Rob,

• Do the two fan motors have the same part number?
    No--and the prices are different. One turns clockwise, the other turns counter-clockwise.

• I take it that you personally swapped the fan blades? What does this procedure require? How hard is it to remove the blade from the motor?
    Yes, I personally did the work.

1. Removed the plastic fairings/covers beneath the radiator (I also removed the inner wheel wells, as it seemed easier than separating the other pieces), and the plastic pieces on top, in front of the radiator.
    2. Removed bolts retaining radiator, on top and bottom.
    3. Removed a couple of electrical plugs to make it easier to maneuver the fan housing so as to make room to reach up between the radiator and the fan housing with a ratchet to reach the nuts on the fan blades.
    4. Loosened fan blades with 8mm socket on 3/8" drive--a long drive handle made it easier.
    5. The fan blades came right off.
    6. Reverse procedure to reinstall fan blades. The keyway is identical on both motors, making it easy to inadvertently reverse their position.

• Did you need to swap the two fan motors; or did you leave the fan motors at their original locations?
    I left the fan motors where they were. To have moved them would simply move the problem to different locations.

• When looking at the fans from the rear of the car facing forward, which direction is each fan supposed to turn (clockwise or counterclockwise?)
    Left: clockwise; Right: counterclockwise.

I am also surprised that this problem did not manifest itself to the original owner. This seems to indicate that the car suffered front-end accident damage and the fans were incorrectly installed?

Yes, this is very likely the result of maintenance performed on the vehicle, rather than an assembly line error. I wonder if the previous owner sold it to me because he was stumped at the vehicle's strange behavior--he certainly made no mention of it when showing me the car. It was surprisingly tolerant of the backwards cooling arrangement. The primary manifestation was the intermittent air conditioning. I only saw a high temp warning once, and only for a few seconds. I have no idea why he didn't get it fixed, since it was under warranty. Maybe the dealer was stumped, too? Seems difficult to believe.

19. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congradulations. A very nice write-up. We all got an education on that one. AND a belated welcome to Prius chat.

20. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Now I have to do some fan research. In studying my little electronic equip cooling fan, which I keep beside me, I notice that the airfoil is toward the front or facing me and turns counterclockwise. So in the case of the prius fans, even tho they are of different design and turn in opposite directions. The airfoil must be the first part to cut thru the air in order to apply proper air flow direction. Just an afterthought.