1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Farewells and Goodnights

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Rae Vynn, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got a call from my sister. My mother died on Thursday.

She's already cremated and, I assume, sprinkled somewhere. No service, no memorial, no 'fuss', as was her wish. None of us were told until it was all over.

I'm not sure how I am.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm so sorry. I'm sending you a hug.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rae

I am very sorry for your loss

Both of my parents had similar last wishes: no service, no fuss, no muss, cremation, etc.

Since I was the only kid, the executor, power of attorney, etc, that fell upon me to take care of things. Went as well as could be expected, only immediate family and the closest of friends paid their respects, again as my folks requested

This will be a difficult time for you. Although the sense of loss will never go away, in time you will be able to understand this and properly deal with the emotions

Once again, am very sorry for your loss

jay

1 person likes this.
  4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really sorry to hear that. Time will help!

1 person likes this.
  5. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rae Vyn, I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like it was a surprise to you. It seems she went the way she wanted and that's important as hard as it is for you. Would it help you to get some friends together who knew her and have an informal dinner or gathering to remember her? When my parents passed and my FIL too, folks got together and shared stories, some very funny. My sober sides brother thought we were awful for laughing so much, oh well. It became a celebration of life, warts and all, and was a nice way to say good-bye. Since I'm on the other coast, I'm sending you a big virtual hug and hope it helps. O

1 person likes this.
  6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My thoughts are with you Rae Vyn... :(

1 person likes this.
  7. teeasal

teeasal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Rae Vyn, tears of sadness will heal you in time (I still feel the healing power of the once-in-a-while tears even though both my parents departed over a decade ago). May you wear your smile soon enough knowing your mother has gone from this wicked place called earth to a much better "heaven".

I have the highest regard for those who wish no fuss to be made about their funerals.
    We are wasting too much resources on this earth as it is, why waste even more when we're departed?

Tat Lau

1 person likes this.
  8. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Rae Vyn, I noticed you're a Vegan Witch so I asked and was told this is the right thing to say, may your mother rest in the arms of the goddess.

1 person likes this.
  9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've met you; you're fabulous!

My wife and I both explicitly list our desire for cremation in our wills. We've also talked about slipping quietly away with no muss or fuss as your mother did. From our perspectives, it seems like a quiet and simple way to go. We try to live in a way that creates no disruption to others' lives and we see no reason to create a disturbance on the way out.

However, thinking of your mother, I now realize that we have to consider the impact we would cause by trying to not cause an impact.

My thoughts are with you as you work through the loss of your mother and I thank you for sharing with us. You have given me much to think about.

2 people like this.
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm sorry about your loss.

1 person likes this.
  11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry you didn't have a chance to be with her in the end.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, all.

Slipping away without fuss sounds like the nice, neat, low-impact way to go, yes. However, it leaves the rest of us without a sense of closure.

My mother does not have a grave I can visit to say goodbye.

Complicating matters, I have no easy way to locate/contact my stepdad, to extend my condolences to him. I just tried the phone number of a family friend, and it is no longer a working number. I was told last night that, apparently, my stepdad is heading into the hospital himself for some sort of surgery, and I have no idea which hospital, or for what, and I do know that losing mom will have completely sucked all the will to live from him. They were so very, very close.

I just needed to reach out to my friends for comfort. Thank you, every one of you, for being there. :hug:

13. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

Though there's no physical grave, a part of her will always live on with you in your thoughts and your heart.

1 person likes this.
  14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :grouphug:

1 person likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thoughts and prayers...

1 person likes this.
  16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Her spirit lives inside of you. If you need a physical manifestation, find something on which to project your feelings. Anything will work, as long as it feels right to you: an object, a location, even a song. Let it channel the spirit as you say your goodbyes.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  17. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just found her obit online... she died on the 19th.

It's a bit more complex than losing a parent generally is. Her last words to me, several years ago, were "I'm really disappointed in you"... that isn't why it's complex, lots of parents/kids have issues.

Anyway, there it is.

18. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your life is yours to live as you choose. Don't let her issues become yours.

1 person likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can't change the past, but you can effect the future. get some professional help or find someone who has had a similar experience. there are a lot of support groups out there. you can't live your life the way someone else wants you to. most of us spend years trying to be different from our parents. hopefully better, but when my kids make decisions i don't agree with, i hope i can love them beyond and despite that.

1 person likes this.
  20. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Firstly, Hug! I wish you well.

My mother had brain cancer for 9 months and asked me to remove her from the hospital and get all her family home for Mother's Day, 2000. She died on the Tuesday after, at 2 AM. She had them get a salad shooter and spread her ashes on the way to Lake Sylvia. (you can't be spread AT Lake Sylvia or any other WA State Park.)

I also hope to be spread near Lake Sylvia, but have written my last wishes so that my wife can keep an Urn as long as she needs, then spread when it serves her best.

In Mississippi, I have no legal right to specify how I am to be disposed of. So I used a Colorado form that seemed to me to be simple and readable.

http://www.funerals.org/affiliatere...rado-disposition-wishes-and-agent-declaration

1 person likes this.