1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Fast hazard lights on turn signal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by scottlay, Mar 17, 2010.

1. scottlay

scottlay New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've tried searching, and am sure this is an easy issue.

I had a tire replaced today and now, whenever I use a turn signal, I get a fast hazard lights indication instead. The hazards (dual signal) are flashing both inside the cabin and outside.

Ideas?

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Maybe a bad bulb or bad connection to a bulb on that circuit. :rolleyes:

3. scottlay

scottlay New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks mad-dog-one...will check out tomorrow.

4. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Fast blink generally indicates a lamp out. By design.
    _H*

5. scottlay

scottlay New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Fast exterior lights on turn signal

After looking at it again this morning (in the dark), I realized that it's all exterior lights other than headlamps blinking fast. I don't see any out, and it would seem silly (and hazardous) to replace a turn indicator with all (three brake/turn/etc) lights flashing because one is out.

Thanks, I'll take another look!

6. scottlay

scottlay New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Little more exploration:

If headlights are off, and either the right or left turn indicators are on, a normal paced turn indicator is on, although it's on both sides, although the alternate direction side is dimmer than the intended direction of the turn indicator. This is true on both the front and back of the vehicle. Additionally, the top brake light indicator flashes too.

When the headlights are on, the same thing happens, although the lights flash at a fast pace.

I'm guessing I need to go to Toyota and not the tire place where this originated...

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't happen to switch the the lamps with LED's, and not replace the flasher module with a LED rated replacement?????

8. scottlay

scottlay New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just to wrap this thread. When they were putting the spare tire back in, they knocked loose a ground wire. Simple fix...

Phil Stasik likes this.
  9. khorvath

khorvath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Scottlay,

This is my first time participating in a chat but I just had to know how you resolved this issue. I'm experiencing exactly the same problem and I just purchased my used 2006 Prius yesterday. It happened when I test drove but I just thought it was normal until my son noticed that the back looked like Christmas lights every time I use the turn signal. I contacted the sales person after hours and she responded right away. She's going to check with her manager so I'm hoping it's simple (and covered). I love my Prius!!!

10. dafinn

dafinn Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Usually when lights other than (or as well as but often dimmer) than the intended lights come on, it usually means a bad or missing ground wire. This is very common in trailer wiring which I am most used to diagnosing.

11. seven9

seven9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Did you guys ever get this fixed I'm having the same issue with my 13 Prius v

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The advice common to the two problems discussed previously in this old thread is to check ground connections. A Toyota wiring diagram will give the locations of pertinent connections. The spare tire compartment might be a good place to start.

13. k1ngn0thing

k1ngn0thing Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    the solution in my case was the ground near the spare tire

Attached Files:

Phil Stasik likes this.
  14. Phil Stasik

Phil Stasik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You guys are so awesome! I have saved so much time and money over the past 9 years with the good advice from this site! My sister took her 2004 Prius (that my wife and I originally bought new) in to the local tire place, and had EXACTLY the same symptoms that scottlay originally posted. The problem was exactly the same. The tire guys dropped the spare in to the storage area sloppily, and broke the turn signal circuit ground wire that is normally crimped onto a washer on the rear side of the tire storage well. It looked EXACTLY like K1ngn0thing's photo. Easy fix. Damn!