1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

faster than light?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hyo silver, Sep 23, 2011.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you interpret the latest news from Cern? Was Einstein wrong? Are the results repeatable?

Experiment trumps theory, I know, but this is a very important, well established theory by one of our brightest minds.

2. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Speed of Light Broken

First, who broke it and how are they going to fix it? :eek:

Another scientific theory bites the dust. I get this warm fussy feeling each time that happens, how about you? :noidea:

1 person likes this.
  3. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Re: Speed of Light Broken

Since the neutrinos that were measured traveled through the earth, did that somehow affect its speed...

I know that the neutrinos hardly interact with matter at all, but is it understood well enough to say that it is the same as neutrinos traveling in a vacuum.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Even the scientists who did this are skeptical of the results. It's interesting and I'm going to follow the progress as it could have interesting future scientific implications and applications, but I suspect we'll find that they'll have a hard time replicating the result.

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The "excess" speed was only a tiny fraction of lightspeed, not, say, three times or three hundred times faster than light. Had the experiments produce the latter, differentials in orders of magnitude, I'd say our theories would need significant revision. A variance at such an infintesimal percentage, however, (if it is genuine and not noise or error), wouldn't undermine the fundamental principles and relationships of our theories but would just indicate that they're not yet fully refined, i.e. E=MC^2 +/- X, where X is some influence we hadn't discovered yet.

Nonetheless it is very intriguing to see that this "X" remained completely hidden and unexpected for most of a century, a century of mankind's most rapid and profound expansion of our knowledge of the universe. Nature ain't simple. (Which presents something of a paradox when the quest of discovery works best when hewing to Occam's razor: the simplest is often it).

1 person likes this.
  6. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since the measured difference is so small, it could be that the speed of neutrinos is the speed limit of the universe and the speed of light approaches that limit. We aren't sure if light is slowed down slightly by unknown means which don't affect neutrinos as greatly.

We don't know if we will measure the speed of another weakly interacting particle that is yet slightly faster than neutrinos.

1 person likes this.
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Faster than light travel? Of course, how else does the ISS Enterprise get to other planets :)

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Its a game changer for sure.

9. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

Not so much of a game changer, as an eye opener...

Many in the scientific community are bound by the constraint of C...

However, by their own admission, there is no UT of everything... regardless of how they try, gravity (an observable and tested law of physics) still falls out especially when we approach C or when the mass is too great...

I believe we will modify the mechanics of the generally accepted model we currently use, when we determine what the properties are of the subatomic particles we still have difficulty in detecting, much less measuring, after we have better tools to understand what is going on in the subatomic interactions...

Right now, we are only throwing mudballs at each other and really can't determine what all the splattering results mean... we do know more than we did 30 years ago, but still... it was less than 200 years ago that a whole lot of folks didn't think man could fly across an ocean... and not too long before that, that the world was flat.

As we gather better tools to use to understand the universe in which we exist, we will have a better understanding of why some things appear to happen instantaneously, and why this test appeared to say C ain't as fast as it gets.

10. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

Me too.
    I am a huge fan of the Scientific Method and enjoy that science is about constantly testing previously "proven" theories in the hopes that something even better will be discovered. To me, this is just another awesome example of this in practice.

4 people like this.
  11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

By current theory, the speed of light through a vacuum is the absolute upper speed limit. As light passes through a medium it slows down because it is absorbed and re-emitted each time it strikes a particle. It jumps the gaps at the same speed.

There are a few particles that traverse a medium at speeds faster than light. However, and this is a big however, they are still going slower than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Tom

12. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

I say we let them off with a warning, they only exceeded the speed limit by 1 part in a Billion.

2 people like this.
  13. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ...by going thru dimensions with Warp Drive - your neighbor Scotty to the north of you can explain it all. :D

14. MontyTheEngineer

MontyTheEngineer New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

If the results hold up, it doesn't mean we throw relativity out the window. The neutrinos were found to be travelling 0.00025% faster than C. Einstein's math has been shown over and over to be an excellent predictor of the way space and time bend - that hasn't changed. All that can change is the set of ideas we've extrapolated from his excellent math and some of the assumptions - like the speed of light being the fundamental rate at which cause & effect ripple through the universe.

1 person likes this.
  15. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II

It's part of a progression.... Aristotle was superseded by Newton, later by Einstein. Their works still have truths - we just don't have the absolute truth.

1 person likes this.
  16. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Experimental error. The team is from Italy, the same nation who brought us the Fiat. 'Nuff said :_>

17. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

The result will not be replicated. If it is confirmed that neutrinos can go faster than c I'll eat one :_>

18. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's bording on racist mate! :eek:

You wouldn't be too happy if I brought some similar comment about America. And wasn't it Fiat that bought out your third largest car manufacturer employing 50,000 Americans?

1 person likes this.
  19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Typical.....

As far as Fiat Buying out Dodge.....well, kinda hard to say who came out on the wrong end of that deal. ;)

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Call me naive, but I was expecting a more intellectual discussion. Other than the first two responses, the thread is a disappointment so far.