1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FasTrak Application

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kimgh, May 21, 2006.

1. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    OK, I searched around a bit and didn't find the answer here, so I have a question about applying for the FasTrak transponder required to get the diamond lane stickers in the Bay Area.

I thought I had read or heard that you only need the VIN to get the transponder, but you need the license plate number to get the stickers subsequently. However, the applications for FasTrak appear to require the plate number also.

I am aware that there are ways to get the plate number before you actually have the plate. But do I have to wait for that before even getting the transponder?

2. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got my transponder about 3 hours after I drove the car off the lot. Showed up at the Fastrak office at the Embarcadero and Battery in the City about 15 minutes before they closed, exchanged my existing Fastrak transponder, they took a look at my Bill of Sale, walked out with new Green-dot transponder.

3. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimgh @ May 20 2006, 11:17 PM) [snapback]258764[/snapback]</div>
    Just leave the plate number box blank on the FasTrak application, or enter "pending", but complete everything else. FasTrak appears to have no problem with that; I got my transponder with no delay.

For what it's worth, your FasTrak account will be accessible on the Web, and you will be able to go into it later, once you get your plate number, and type the number in so it's all complete and everything. :)

In addition, the Prius windshield is so deeply raked that the transponder can be completely hidden behind the rear view mirror from the driver's perspective. I forget that the transponder is even there.

4. jhereg

jhereg New Member

Just remember, when you are actually car-pooling, you need to put the FasTrak transponder in the little baggy they give you. Otherwise it will charge you for the toll and their website says they won't refund it.

Those meanies :angry:

5. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhereg @ May 22 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]259444[/snapback]</div>
    Since I live in San Jose and work in Milpitas, there is almost no chance that I will ever need to use the transponder. I'm forced to get it in order to get the HOV lane stickers, which I CAN in fact use for my commute.

So I would say: "those meanies" for a different reason than you give....