1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FasTrak & HOV Lane

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by berylrb, Nov 16, 2006.

1. berylrb

berylrb Member

Hey Just had a little FYI re: where to put the fastrak transmitter (or whatever you call it in other states). Indeed the top drawer of the glove compartment has worked now on three of the major bridges in NorCal, Golden Gate, Cardenas, and Bay. From 45 MPH to 2 MPH. Wow, what a dashboard!

Also, I witnessed a first for my 30 years of driving, a CHP actually pulled over someone driving in the HOV lane solo. Now I know this must happen a lot but I had never witnessed it.

Lastly, here in the bay area the real clog is that the bay bridge folks put the 3 new fastrak lanes, which are viturally empty, in the middle of a 20 booth toll crossing, so it really doesn't matter the flow of the HOV lanes, every one else is has an even longer 'parking lot' time now that the non-fastrakers have fewer toll booths, because us NorCalers are too lazy to go out and get a fastrak transmitter. LOL

Hence, dem' Prius owners with stickers get blamed when the reality is that flow would be much better if folks would just sign up for FASTRAK.

2. stomsf

stomsf New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Drat! I just mounted my transponder yesterday in the field of black dots behind the rearview mirror (yes, my mirror is upside down).

I got my plates last night so it's off to the FasTrak office today to get my verification form. There have been three instances in the past two weeks that I have been so enviously eyeing those HOV lanes on the Bay Bridge!

The thing about the non-HOV FasTrak lanes on the bridge (the three in the middle, the one towards the car pool lanes, and the three in the mini plaza to the right) is that much to typical driver arrogance, when it's backed up everyone will cram into the lanes at the last minute. OK, end mini-rant.

3. SoopahMan

SoopahMan Member

Have you guys noticed there's yet another compartment in the ceiling, just in front of the cabin light? Good place to put any transponders for the car.

I don't think they have FasTrak down here in LA or I'd pick one up - me and EZPass/FastLane always travelled together back in Massachusetts - I don't know why anyone pays tolls the old way anymore.

4. kimgh

kimgh Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SoopahMan @ Nov 16 2006, 04:20 PM) [snapback]350488[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think they call it Fastrak down in LA, but I'm sure that you can get transponders, at least in Orange County and Riverside. There are a number of freeways there that have dedicated transponder lanes; essentially they are toll lanes that you have to have the transponder account to drive in. Nothing to do with carpooling, either: those are separate lanes.

5. eclectcmoi

eclectcmoi Muffinologist

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We have FasTrak on the 91 Freeway between Orange and Riverside Counties. Transponders are used and lanes are separated from the regular freeway lanes. There are also several toll roads that use the same FasTrak transponder system. The Foothill (SR 241), the San Joaquin Hills (SR 73), and the Eastern (SR 241, 133 and 261) Transportation Corridors; all located in Orange County. You can also use FasTrak on the I-15 Express Lanes in San Diego.

6. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eclectcmoi @ Nov 16 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]350498[/snapback]</div>
    we did that a few years ago, wow the one that drops off near John Wayne airport was empty! I have no idea what the toll was I just drove enjoying the views and cruise control.

Soopah, I think I'll check out that ceiling place, have you used it yet? My understanding is that the signal is vertical dispersement pattern, so you'd think a ceiling mount near the windshield would work, YAMV (LOL)

7. PriusJay

PriusJay New Member

Just got my transponder and am told I can't use it on my regular car. Does anyone know why this is so and are there any differences between this and a non-hybird car transponder. And have you used your hybrid transponder on your car and what happened?

8. RobertG

RobertG New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(berylrb @ Nov 16 2006, 03:39 PM) [snapback]350452[/snapback]</div>
    Toll for the SF Bay area bridges goes up a dollar on Monday, with the Golden Gate Bridge, already a dollar higher, being the one exception. Drivers with FasTrak passes get one more month of the lower toll, as added incentive for people to sign up for FasTrak. They even set up a sign-up station in the parking lot just east of the bay bridge toll plaza.

In my view, FasTrak is a no-brainer. You only need to see the difference in the traffic flow during a busy time to notice the advantage.

9. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusJay @ Dec 30 2006, 08:54 AM) [snapback]368602[/snapback]</div>
    My understanding is it's some sort of accounting or data collection issue. Since they know which transponders are issued to hybrids, the can track hybrid use in carpool lanes and on bridges if they want to. On a bridge, where they use it to collect the toll in a carpool lane, it may be some sort of enforcement issue but I'm not quite sure how they would use the information. I have 3 cars (1 hybrid) & 3 transponders so haven't had to swap between cars.

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

When I got my HOV stickers part of the process was to apply for a Fasttrac transponder. I didn't really want one again as the last one caused a break-in of my car and stolen transponder, and I very rarely cross the bridges. However someone screwed up along the way, and I was sent no transponder, but 2 sets of HOV stickers. I'm happy. If the stickers weren't tied to the car, I'd sell the extra set on ebay for a tidy profit. As it is, they reside in my junk drawer.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusJay @ Dec 30 2006, 08:54 AM) [snapback]368602[/snapback]</div>
    You certainly CAN use it - you just aren't supposed to. :)

The hybrid transponders are supposed to be charged bridge toll even in the carpool lane during carpool times. You get to use that lane legally, but you still need to pay - unlike a real carpool, or a real ZEV.

12. yauman

yauman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Dec 30 2006, 09:19 AM) [snapback]368614[/snapback]</div>

I have 3 cars and two transponders - the transponders dated back to 5 years ago when the FastTrak program first started. When I sold one and bought my first hybrid (Honda Civic Hybrid) and when the HOV programed started, I just sent in my application and wrote down the transponder numbers and I got my stickers without having to swap transponders (I have sticker number 000004xx). Then last year when I sold my other car and bought my Prius, I sent in for another set of HOV sticker and again wrote down the transponder serial numbers. I got my stickers again without having to swap my transponders. I now have 2 transponders which I swap back and forth with my two hybrids and my 3rd non-hybrid (VW Vanagon). When I check my FastTrak account on line, I have all 3 cars listed for my account.

13. jrfaris

jrfaris Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(yauman @ Dec 31 2006, 07:36 AM) [snapback]368916[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. I had to get a new transponder for CarMyne. Anyway, are you saying you sent both transponder numbers along with each sticker request? I thought the transponders were associated with a specific vehicle but maybe not. Looking on their web site, both transponders and vehicles are associated with an account but a tie between transponder and vehicle is not apparent. Since they use the license plate to apply tolls if the transponder doesn't register (It happens sometimes if I leave it in the upper glove box), it's probably all just account based. I gather you haven't had any problems arise from driving the vanagon through carpool lanes...?

14. Mitchla

Mitchla New Member

Hi -

I never heard the definitive answer in the thread here as to where you can place the Fastrak transponder. (I'm not sure what technology it uses -- is it sending out an RF signal? Good batteries in there.) Can anyone safely say that it works in the compartment up by the map light? The top glove box? Does orientation matter (belly up as if it was velcroed to the windshield)?

Thanks.

15. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mitchla @ Jan 12 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]374784[/snapback]</div>
    The compartment up by the map lights is for holding sunglasses. I don't believe it is big enough to hold a fastrak transponder. I have my transponder mounted behind the rear-view mirror in the little dot section. The rearview mirror mostly blocks my view of the transponder. You can try mounting the transponder in the lower right or lower left corner of the windshield, if you don't want it by the mirror. The instructions that came with our transponders (one for the Prius, one for the Sienna) shows where the preferred locations are for mounting. Some people have had luck with it being in the upper glove compartment, or the hidden tray under the center armrest.

16. fphinney

fphinney Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PriusJay -

Here is what http://www.bayareafastrak.org/static/about..._hybrid.shtml#9 has to say:

Can I use my hybrid toll tag with my other vehicle, or use my "regular" toll tag with my hybrid vehicle?
    No. Your hybrid toll tag can only be used in your hybrid vehicle. You cannot use your hybrid toll tag in a non-hybrid vehicle, nor can you use your "regular" toll tag in your hybrid vehicle.

The hybrid transponders are supposed to be charged bridge toll even in the carpool lane during carpool times. You get to use that lane legally, but you still need to pay - unlike a real carpool, or a real ZEV. [/quote]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

darelldd -

Here is what http://www.bayareafastrak.org/static/about..._hybrid.shtml#7 has to say about that:

I am in my hybrid vehicle, and I have the required number of occupants to qualify as a carpool vehicle. Do I still have to pay tolls when driving across the bridge?
    No. If you have the minimum number of occupants in your vehicle to qualify as a carpool vehicle (i.e., either 2 or 3, depending on the carpool policies of the bridge you are crossing), you are allowed to drive toll-free across the bridge. To avoid being charged the toll, you MUST insert your FasTrak® toll tag into the Mylar bag (provided to you when your account was opened) before driving through the toll lane. No credits will be issued to your FasTrak® account if you fail to use the Mylar bag as described.