1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Favorite Firefox & Thunderbird add-ons . . .

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The Firefox web browser and Thunderbird email client are highly customizable with hundreds of add-ons which are produced by many programmers from around the world.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/faq.php

What add-ons do you use to customize Firefox and Thunderbird to your liking?

Mine:

DictionarySearch:
    Highlight a word in the web page, right click, click “DictionarSearch.†A new tab will open and search the online dictionary of your choice (customizable in DictinarySearch Options). I also added a Thesaurus search as an option.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/68/

NoScript: (this is the third most popular Firefox add-on)
    Extra protection for your Firefox: NoScript allows JavaScript, Java and other executable content only for trusted domains of your choice . . . via a whitelist.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/722/

Tweak Network:
    Firefox has some built in limits on network usage. Tweak network settings to your liking.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/327/

Colorful Tabs:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1368/
    I miss my colorful tabs :(
    When an update or new version of Firefox is released, all add-ons must be tested by its developer to make sure it is compatible, until this happens Firefox deactivates the offending add-on. Updates are automatic once the developer certifies compatibility. This keeps add-ons current and not a source of rotware which may hurt Firefox in the long run.

For Thunderbird, the only add-on I use is DictionarSearch as mentioned above.

There are so many great add-ons to choose from. . . what are your favorites?

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Forecastfox - It does just what it sounds like... sticks the current weather forecast into either the toolbar or status bar of Firefox. I've been using this forever. :)

Web Developer - I can't imagine any developer, web or otherwise, who hasn't used this extension. Even the very few died in the wool IE users that I know drool over this extension. Well worth getting if you do any HTML work or want to poke around and see how a website is put together.

User Agent Switcher - For those websites that won't let me in unless I'm using IE. :)

Image Zoom - Just because I like to zoom images sometimes.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh boy :lol:

firefox:
    colorful tabs- i really like the color distinction
    adblock plus- never see ads on any of my regular sites anymore
    fission- minor thing, progress bar inside address bar, i like it
    tab x- close tabs individually
    download statusbar- better management of downloads, at least for me
    mozilla calendar- this thing is great!
    forecastfox enhanced- convenient weather updater- and a mouseover radar!
    cutemenus- cause i'm a geek, heh
    flashblock- great for blocking those annoying flash ads, if you want to play something it's not super complex to get it to allow the animation either
    smiley xtra- got this idea from proco, has some fun smileys but i don't use it all the time

thunderbird:
    cutemenus again
    calendar again
    delete junk mail context menu

i used to have more but had to set up a new xp user account when i changed over to pro- never got around to adding all my usual ones.

4. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Forecast fox
    FireFTP
    VerizonMinutesUsed...I went over my minutes 2 months in a row until I found this handy applet.
    Google Toolbar
    Bookmark Synchronizer

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Firefox Extensions:
    AdBlock Plus
    Dictionary Search
    DownloadThemAll!
    Extended Statusbar
    EasyGestures
    FasterFox
    ForecastFox
    GDirections
    ImageZoom
    Minimize to Tray
    SessionSaver
    SmoothWheel
    TabBrowser Preferences
    Viamatic foXpose

Firefox Theme:
    Littlefox

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I just added the colored tabs to Mozilla.

Not sure that I love them. I like the color but it's a little more difficult to know which tab I'm in now. Before they were so obviously dark and light. Now there's just a thin black line around the tabs. I may get used to them. If I don't, I'll be looking for a way to uninstall them.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Oct 22 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]336571[/snapback]</div>
    If you feel you don't like Colorful Tabs, a very easy way to disable it is to upgrade to Firefox 2 (which will be released Oct 24, 2006 :) ) Sadly, for now, that disables Colorful Tabs, or any other add-on not updated for Firefox 2 . . . that's why I am missing my colorful tabs. :(

It is easy to uninstall any add-ons. In Firefox 2 click on TOOLS > ADD-ONS, then click on the offending add-on , then click UNINSTALL and confirm. Done!

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

A shortcut for dictionary.com is built into FF 2.0:

Type dict <word> as the URL.

9. jtullos

jtullos New Member

Adblock Plus, IE Tab, and NoScript for me. Though obviously IE Tab isn't on my Linux, but it's handy when some website decides to be stupid. As for Thunderbird, I've got one extension in Linux that allows for notification of new mail and minimizing to the bar (great for multiple desktops), but I can't remember the name of it right now, and I'm in Windows at the moment.