1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Favorite mods/accessories, but with a twist

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Scott_R, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK, I know this has been discussed ad nauseam, but here's my version of the question.

I've never liked doing cosmetic changes to my cars, even in small ways. I bought my first new car in college, and I refused to my my college's parking sticker on the bumper (I attacked it to a suction cup and stuck that on the rear window). With my new Prius (a <1/2 week old '06), I plan on getting the HOV stickers, but I *will not* stick the four stickers onto my car. Instead, I'll look for removable film (stick-on or magnetic), attach the passes to that, and keep them in my trunk except for the few times I'll need them, and stick 'em on for that trip.

Yes, that neurotic.

So, that in mind, what are the favorite changes (big and small) that don't permanently effect looks?

Body Side Mouldings? Hmm. Maybe a good idea, but as usual, I hate making non-reversible visible changes.

I've been thinking about the BT stiffening plate (yes, it's signficant, but otherwise invisible and reversible).

What about the floormats? I have the factory mats; should Exactmats (do the go over or in place of the factory mats?) or the all-weather Prius mats?

When the DICE iPod Car Integration Unit comes out for the '06, I'll be interested... how visible are the changes inside? Anything hanging around? How about "invisible" Sirius add-ons, working with the existing system?

What else?

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 23 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]291072[/snapback]</div>
    I think the others are scared of you!

You can add a priushood, which helps to shade the MFD from the sun (attaches with velcro)
    Floormats are a good idea
    Cargo Net (attaches to the hooks in the trunk area)
    BT plate is a definate yes
    EV mod from coastaletech (uses the cruise control stick, so nothing visible)

Gotta tell you, the moldings do look great...and I would rather have a car that looks a little different then one that looks stock but has door dings!

3. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 23 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]291072[/snapback]</div>
    WHY???

4. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 23 2006, 04:11 PM) [snapback]291072[/snapback]</div>
    We're both in the metropolitan NYC area, and I got my 2006 Prius in April. I've opted for the all-weather mats over the Exactmats because they'll be better at keeping melting show/ice/slush from running onto the carpeting. I'm using the carpeted floor mats now but will probably change to the all-weather mats before a Christmas trip to western Massachusetts, unless we get a snow storm earlier than that here in New Jersey.

I haven't bought an all-weather mat for my cargo area, but I will get that in the late fall.

5. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Scott-
    I got the lloyd mats from mat depot. I work in a dirty environment so all the dirt from my shoes is contained. less cleanup - the carpet will stay cleaner.
    you can see the photos if you go to the members gallery.

also heatshield from the store is great!
    barbara

6. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 23 2006, 07:37 PM) [snapback]291139[/snapback]</div>
    The cargo net was supposed to come with my package, but the dealer forgot to include it; I'm working on that.

I was looking at the priushood. I haven't yet had a glare issue, but, as part of my continuing desire not to stick things to my car (yes, even Velcro), I was thinking of designing my own that would be effective but without gluing anything on. Absolutely critical? No, but I like messing around designing such things.

I'd skipped over looking at the EV mod... looking it over now (and with more drive time in the Prius), I think I'd like to consider it.

I definitely would be interested in the Lockpick, if/when they have it available for the '06 (or some other workaround). For a few years now, I've had a Garmin 2620 GPS, and I like (and am used to) being able to use it while driving (yes, judiciously). Plus, I hate that warning screen EACH AND EVERY TIME it's turned on. I'd take the base version: I don't plan on using a phone of any kind in my car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(barbaram @ Jul 23 2006, 08:36 PM) [snapback]291172[/snapback]</div>
    Barbara

Any reason you got the lloyd mats rather than the Toyota all-weather?

I have the heatshields in my cart--I was waiting to see if there was anything else I wanted, too (so far, front-only; I don't think I'm going to bother climbing iinto the back to put it up).

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My favorite mod is the 20" rear window wiper. It is not very noticeable but really makes a difference in the PNW climate. Toyota should make it standard on every car sold from Vancouver BC to San Francisco along the rain coast.

8. Tatania

Tatania Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 23 2006, 03:11 PM) [snapback]291072[/snapback]</div>
    Scott let me know what you come up with. I just mailed my form for my HOV stickers and I am DREADING putting them on my car. I've been trying to think of a solution but couldn't come up with anything.

9. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 23 2006, 01:11 PM) [snapback]291072[/snapback]</div>
    In both cases (also with the XM add-on) the main difference will be what's on the MFD. I have a DICE in my 2005 and plan to put the iPod in the lower glove box. During normal operation, nothing's hanging around.

The VAIS, which is now available for the 2006, costs more, but is supposed to deal with the "I Agree" button.

11. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle

12. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrbigh @ Jul 24 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]291714[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, there's really no metal around there! I just went outside with one of those flexible magnets given away for advertising purposes--I figured it would have about the same power as anything I'd use.

There's nothing back there! Not even fudge room. How is it that the magnet doesn't even stick to the hatchback??? (Even with a weak magnet, it ought to.)

13. Tatania

Tatania Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Well in the state of California they issue 4 stickers. One is to be placed on the left side of the vehicle on the bumper in back and on the right side in back, then 2 on the front portion and one on the right and left so they can be visable from the front as well.

While I love the perks I just hate to put stickers on my car. :( I thought why not have decals that can be placed (and removed) on the inside windows like decals?

Anyone from California have solutions? I see a lot of owners that only have the 2 stickers on their cars and found out they can still be sighted for driving in the HoV lanes without all 4.

I have a feeling I'm just gonna have to bite the bullet and put them on.

14. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tatania @ Jul 24 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]291780[/snapback]</div>
    You have to look at it like no one else is allowed to put them on, rather then you have to put them on. Trust me, when you are cruising in the car pool lane and whizzing by everyone else, you will love the stickers!

15. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tatania @ Jul 24 2006, 10:55 PM) [snapback]291780[/snapback]</div>

By Jove, I think I have it! Removeable window film Attach the sticker to this, and press it onto the car.

I was thinking that Saran wrap might also work, but the thickness of this other product would make it easier to work with.

16. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 24 2006, 09:16 PM) [snapback]291731[/snapback]</div>

The hatch is metal, but it's non-magnetic aluminium. There is lots of space under the trim in the hatch, so you could glue a magnet to the inside where it wouldn't be visible, then fix your stickers via a magnet to the outside. This would make the sticker really easy to steal, though.

Some of the folks from California have suggested useing 3M film for their stickers. Its the same stuff that's used for the clear bras. Its very durable, but can be removed without harm. The suggestion was to first stick the sticker to a piece of the film, then trim the film near to the edges of the sticker. Stick that piece of film to the car. Then cut out another piece of film somewhat bigger then the sticker and place that over the first piece. The sticker is now firmly attached, but can be removed if desired.

17. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawkjm73 @ Jul 29 2006, 04:27 PM) [snapback]294366[/snapback]</div>

Yes, I'd made mention of the removeable film (something similar, at least) above, but I like the double layer idea. I wonder if it would be even better to keep some overtrim on the bottom piece of film--I think the film to film stickiness is even better. If I used two equal-sized pieces of film overlapping the sticker by about 1-2" on all sides, it ought to be simple to peel off.

Of course, I couldn't use the window-shading stuff then; it would have to be clear. Who'd sell something like that? I don't think the Clearbra stuff is sold directly to the consumer.

Another thought: keep a small bottle of something like Zaino Z6 (I've started zainoing) in the car, to spritz on/wipe off in order to remove grime when putting the sticker on.

Glad I won't be using the HOV lanes regularly; this could a PITA in such a case.

18. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Jul 29 2006, 05:16 PM) [snapback]294379[/snapback]</div>

It is available online. Try a Google for "3m paint protection film". I found some rolls of it under Froogle. It's a little pricey, though.

Also, I don't think this would be reusable. It should come off fairly easy, but I doubt it would restick properly after that. You might be able to put a new top piece over the old, but that would only last through a finite number of stickings before the plastic got too thick.

As for the overlaps, I would try a few "test" stickers using various overlap methods, wash the car a few times, then see which method remains better stuck.

19. BVISAILMAN

BVISAILMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought the carpeted mats and cargo mat to match.....When I go to the nursery and put anything dirty in the cargo area I simply turn the cargo mat over as it is rubber on the bottom.....any spills shake or sweep right off and no stains since it is black and washable.....

20. Jack Straw

Jack Straw New Member