1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Favorite Prius Pop Culture Moment of the 2000s?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius has been a popular target of pop culture since its inception into the mainstream back in 2004. Probably the most (in)famous reference was in the South Park episode entitled "Smug Alert!". But the car has appeared as a character, prop, or backdrop in numerous other TV shows, movies, and music videos. My personal favorite Prius pop culture sighting was in a 2004 episode of Alias. It's a special Prius sighting for me because it was the first time I had ever seen a 2nd Generation Prius in a TV show. It was one of those exciting moments when you knew that a car you loved was hitting the mainstream. [​IMG] As we close out the decade of the 2000s, I thought I'd ask you guys to post your own "favorite Prius pop culture moments or references". What's yours? Feel free to post YouTube videos to your favorite moments! Here's a great site that lists out various TV shows and movies where the Prius has appeared - IMCDB.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Weed's youtube:

Bob Wilson

2 people like this.
  3. toxicity

toxicity A/C Hog

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    South Park for sure. What was it, "Hybrids might even save the world someday! But we have to learn to drive them and not be smug!"

"I.....I don't think we're ready for that."

LOL

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Yeah, it's really a Nissan ad, but I LOL every time I watch it. :p

Here's another Nissan ad that it eye catching:
    (CAUTION: NOT WORK SAFE. Add leading [, and trailing brackets ] to view )

url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKO-tZGuFDg"]YouTube- Nissan commercial[/url

One more reason to look forward to driving a Leaf...
    independent suspension :rolleyes:

5. moner

moner New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]South Park's Smug Alert episode definitely made me want to own my very own Smug Mobile, but my favorite Prius moment is from the Six Feet Under finale...

1 person likes this.
  6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OMG Alias!! That was my favorite show ever. I watched seasons 1-3 like 5 times each. Seasons 4 and 5 weren't as good. Man I forgot how much I miss that show. And I completely forgot that they had the Prius in there. I think that's what Sydney drove in Season 4...?

7. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Family Guy references the Prius a lot. For example, YouTube - Family Guy - I Have A Car

There's a good one where someone throws his car into the house... search "He who throws the first Prius"

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    No . . . no . . no . . . you gota have nerdy white rappers if you want funny Pop Culture

now THAT's funny

:p

9. Greenepanda

Greenepanda New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can't forget my personal fav from "The Office" where Andy silently runs into Dwight in his Prius! :D

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It probably isn't my "favorite" Pop Culture moment for The Prius. That Nissan Ad was hillarious and The Southpark episode and The Casual Mafia rap were far more entertaining, but I think the most significant moment for The Prius was The Academy Awards when so many Stars showed up in Prius. Whether you liked it, or hated it, it was high profile and really brought The Prius into the eyesight of the general public. You heard almost as much about The Prius as you did the Academy Awards themselves....it was brilliant. Honda even tried to duplicate it with The Insight during the film festival in Colorado...it didn't really work. I don't think you can duplicate a happening like that, and that's why I think it was so significant. I think for a lot of people, those academy awards were the first time they really saw a Prius as a real automotive choice for whatever reason. Be it political, economical or just hey, you can get from point a to point b in a Prius?

11. Curmujeon

Curmujeon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I like the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode where Larry burns rubber in his Prius trying to beat the doctor home when they get the news that Loretta has cancer. Has anybody actually seen a stock Prius really burn rubber?

12. GreenClipper

GreenClipper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Favorite Prius sighting was at the movies recently. The movie: It's Complicated. Meryl Streep's daughter drove a Gen II Prius. Now that I own one I notice them when I see them. :)

13. risingsun

risingsun seeker of the way

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    RE: Six Feet Under...

Not only did it include a Prius, but that was one of the greatest all-time series-ending montages. Chills. Of course, for anyone that didn't watch the series, it probably doesn't mean a durned thing...