1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Favorite sites for buying OE parts (don't have to be Toyota branded, just OE like Denso, Aisin, etc)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius8654, Apr 14, 2023.

1. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm going to be buying some parts and would like to stick with the OE manufacturers (i.e. Denso, Aisin, etc). Rockauto has a few OE's but much less than I remember seeing a few years ago. Of course there are all of the online toyota dealers with their own online sales too.

I'm looking for generally whatever you all have generally found to be the cheapest. So far it looks like boch toyota has pretty good online prices..? I'm on the east coast, but shipping for water pumps and other fairly small parts etc is fairly comparable throughout the country. Thanks :)

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Keep in mind that even when you know the manufacturer of a part for Toyota, and you can get the "same" part from them through another channel (sometimes even looking like a Toyota logo got ground off), there might be a process on their end where they decide which of those parts to sell to Toyota and which ones to grind the logos off and sell in another channel.

That's entirely apart from the question of whether the part some online channel sells you is really the part from the manufacturer they say it is.

3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Olathe Toyota is known to be a cheap source. I bought from them before I moved to Kansas..lol now I can drive over.

edthefox5 likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    parts.toyota is the go-to site in the States, and will link dealerships nearby to you, and show their prices (typically lower than "suggested retail price").

Amayama has worked out well for me, small items, shipped to Canada. They ship from Japan or UAE; try to keep a single order to one or the other, to avoid two shipping charges. On my relatively low cost purchases, never any additional charges, other than shipping.

For items like the water pump, IIRC they'll show both the Toyota and third party options.

5. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've been surprised to find my local Walmart stocking some Toyota OEM oil filters so I always see if there's any I can use there. (I maintain my families vehicles....Tundra, Sienna, Rav4, Corolla, and Prius)
    For hard-to-find parts or ridiculously expensive (at my dealer) parts, I've bought from McGeorge and Sparks Toyota as well as Amayama.
    For larger parts (like a rear bumper cover I needed for a Scion), some dealerships let you order on-line and they have free shipping to the parts department.

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I still like to buy from rockauto. The whole world of auto parts is still pretty upside down from pandemic problems.

One of the things I like best about buying from rock because they don't carry bad parts for long- they are very good at weeding out the garbage and carrying decent stuff. Pretty much the opposite of Amazon, where they'll keep selling the garbage as long as people order it.

Once RA sold me an aftermarket gas lift strut for the back door of my old wagon. It didn't fit. There was no hope of it fitting. They had a pretty easy process where I sent them some pictures and notes, they took care of me with an alternate part that did fit, some $ back, and the misfit vanished from their database.

As long as they are still doing that, I don't mind if the actual brands on the boxes change up a bit.

cyberpriusII likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It does that, but I'm not sure how important the "nearby to you" part really is. Some of the dealerships will not honor the online price for a walk-in sale, but only for online orders, at which point, if the shipping is comparable, maybe it doesn't matter much where the one with the best price is located.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Love Rock Auto. They get some snarky comments on PC but they have been good to me.

You can save some $$ with them if you can ship your order to a business address.

They often have Denso parts at very attractive prices.
    Kris

9. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm not too sure about that. I recently priced Toyota 0W-16 motor oil at a local dealer and was quoted ~$14/qt. Same with the oil filter, quoted at ~$9/ea. Went to ToyotaPartsDeal.com and purchased the oil at ~$8/qt. and the filters at ~$4.25 each.

P.S. - The dealership recently changed hands so I can't say if they are now just a blatent ripoff (I say a resounding "YES!") or if the supply chain is still having issues. Or maybe a combination of both.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My only gripe with them is that one must check the local dealers one by one by clicking through to each one. There is no button on the main page that does "show prices at all local dealers", and better yet, "optionally include tax and shipping". For me all the close dealers are in one state, but that wouldn't be true for somebody who lives near a border with one or more states.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I would probably only use parts.toyota and the associated US dealerships (one is relatively close to me, just across the border, for BIG-ticket items, say a short block...

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Up until a year or two ago (or so), my local dealer would show the list price as the list price, and often sell to me for a net price lower than that.

Roughly a year or two ago, they started printing me quotes where the "list price" column contains a number roughly double the list price, and if I balk at that, they tell me good news, they can offer me a discount, and they print one where the "list price" column is still roughly double the list price, and the "net price" column shows the list price.

I've been meaning to assemble some screenshots and photos for a chat about that, but other projects keep getting in the way.

13. Rph74

Rph74 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually use Toyota of Olathe as well..as for non Toyota dealers I’ve found Partsgeek to have a lot of Aisin and Denso parts.

edthefox5 likes this.
  14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Olathe Toyota online for me too. There the best online. You can call there phone number if you need tech help very nicer tech help.
    They just called me the other day again to get my vin on a aprt to make sure it was correct. Thats pretty awesome in this day.

If your doing the repair yourself buy the best part you can as your already saving a ton of money on the labor. The best part is a factory Toyota part bought at a Toyota dealer. Install it and drive away....

If your buy a Toyota part online somewhere other than a Toyota dealer and its much cheaper there is a reason....especially Amazon there's a ton of Chinese crap on that site.