1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

FCD was less than calc MPG. Hmmmm...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by thbjr, Dec 15, 2009.

1. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    OK guys and gals, here is what's happened. When I bought the car it had the usual complimentary full tank of gas. The odometer read 37 miles and as best I can remember the FCD read 34MPG. I figured that was about right for 4-5 mile test drives that included 1.5 miles getting on and off the freeway.
    Yesterday I filled up for the first time. The odometer read 466, it took 7.468 gal, and the A tripometer read 56.6MPG @ 465 miles. My B tripometer read 63.3 at 361 miles (from this thread).
    Well, as you can see, the calculated mileage, at 62.4MPG, seemed way high. So I figured I just hadn't gotten it filled all the way, even though I filled it until it clicked off the second time. So today I stopped to add more fuel on the way home from work. I added .666 gal, again with 2 clicks of the pump, with an additional 35.3 miles on the odometer. That calculates to 53MPG (the FCD read 65.3).
    Now I rather expect a discrepancy on the mini fill up today, but even when combining the 2, I come up with 61.63 calculated MPG.
    That's a full 5 MPG over the 56.6 FCD MPG.
    I must be screwing up somewhere. Everyone else is reporting calculated mileage lower than the FCD displayed mileage.
    Comments welcome.......:confused:

2. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Discard the first tank mileage data. It has been know to be inaccurate.

3. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As I mentioned a couple times, my displayed MPG is less than calculated when the temperature is above 45 for the majority of the tank. The calculated is lower if below 45. I'm only 2,000 miles into my Prius III, so who knows if this is something to pay attention to just yet.