1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

February Car Sales Surprise Experts

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by zenMachine, Mar 2, 2012.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/michellekrebs/2012/03/01/fie-on-high-gas-prices-february-car-sales-soar/

Climbing gas prices didn’t slow down February car sales a bit. Surprising auto executives and analysts alike, February car sales soared to a level not seen since February 2008.

... The higher-than-expected sales were not the result of higher incentives. Incentives were the lowest of any February since 2003, according to an analysis of car-shopping website Edmunds.com, at an average of $2,193 per vehicle. Nor were sales buoyed by inflated fleet sales as was the case in January. A normal rate of about 20 percent of total industry sales went to rental car, commercial and government fleets.

Rather car sales rose on the strength of an improving economy combined with pent-up demand finally being unleashed. Falling unemployment, rising consumer confidence, an improving housing market and wider availability of low-interest credit convinced consumers they were safe to make the big-ticket purchase of a car. Some of them had to do something. The average car on American roads is approaching a record 11 years; the average age of trucks is even higher. Automakers have been waiting for consumers to finally say enough is enough for their old rides.

1 person likes this.
  2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was thinking this. People who are still employed now having gone through a few years of this terrible economy (which actually isn't really getting better, despite the stock market's run up) feel probably they are safe, so it's off to Ford for that nice new F-150 they have been drooling over.

BTW I have no idea why that article says the housing market is improving. It clearly isn't and home values continue to go down--we've not reached a housing bottom yet.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    money printing machines.

4. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    But...but..they're EXPERTS! How could they not have known this!?!?!?!

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Cars are like caskets. Sooner or later everyone needs one. So it's taken 4 years to get 1 good month in a row. The only way to get out of a recession is to spend your way out. Things may have improved but they aren't "good". That's like telling the doctor, "I'm better now. The pain is only bad. Yesterday it was excruciating." More layoffs are coming as corporations choose to create jobs & demand in India & China. I don't believe the sales level is sustainable but what do I know? I'm not an expert.